Using 800RB low side amp to power IEM?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Feb 27, 2010.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Anyone ever try this?

2. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I don't understand what you are talking about.

3. If you are talking about powering them from the Amp I think you would toast them. I don't think
    they are designed to handle that kind of Power.

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    RAG has mentioned on here before that one of their amps' speaker outputs could be used to power headphones, but I don't remember which model and the context.

Why wouldn't you just get a $20 headphone amp and a $2 y-splitter? That would be a lot easier.

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    please don't ever do that.
    well, ok, go ahead....

6. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    So, it can be done?

edit: dummy me, I meant can the 100 watt amp power a IEM, not the "low" amp.

7. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I have no idea, as it may be amp-specific. The GK folks will take care of you though, email their support or PM TBer "rag" (Mr. Gallien himself)

8. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Maybe RAG will drop by.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

IEMs are in essence headphones and the same rules apply to both. If you drive them directly from a speaker level output you will destroy them and quite possibly damage your hearing permanently.

You need to limit the power available to the IEMs to a safe level. I have described construction of such an adapter box several times on this forum. It's simple, cheap to make and very effective. If you search under my forum name and "headphone" you should find the information.

Paul

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021