1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a 5 string as a 4

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by whofan, Jul 2, 2001.

1. whofan

whofan

Jun 29, 2001
    hi,
    i found this really crapped up bass at the flea market for $40. it's a mexican fender precision and it looks like it's been through hell. i bought it so i can have something to do during the summer. like fixing things and 'customizing' it. but it's a 5 string and for what i play, i don't NEED the B.

can i just not put on the B string and play it as a 4 string? will that set off the truss rod? or the pickups?

2. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I would personally recommend leaving the B string on. If you don't use it, don't use it. But I think you will find it will add an extra dimension to your playing over time. The B can be useful for playing lower octaves. I use the B on my 6 tons. A technique I use is to lock the low note into the bass drum beat and then hit the high note to match the snare drum. Just a suggestion.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tagging on to what ytsebri said, try a song with a fairly fast line that requires you to to hit a quick open E or a slap pattern where an open E gets a thumb.

Then try it with a fretted E on the B string. Since this instrument doesn't have a zero fret, the difference is much to your advantage.

If you're determined not to use the B, I don't think not having a B on there will do any harm to the neck and certainly not the pickup. That's just a guess because everyone I've known with 5 keeps it a 5.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I don't know the neg side-effects that you mentioned... but when I am playing 4-string songs on my 5s the B is a great place to hold on to. :) If you got a Fender P 5 for $40, that's awesome! I would also suggest that you might have some fun with that B at times...

I like to boink mine when my guitarist strays too close to my amp... BOING!!! "Take that!!"