1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I'm considering moving up in the world basswise and I would like to get a new bass. Hopefully (nearly definitely as I am a hard working little boy in my exams :smug:) my parents will put some money towards me getting a new bass. At the moment, I play Jazz (in a big band), some fusion (on my own :cool: ), some classic rock (in a bar band) and some fusion/funk. I also do quite a lot of tapping and slapping I would like to get a 5 string bass, as I want to explore the lower registers of t'instrument. I like average string spacing (not too wide, not too tight) and I would like something in the 21-24 fret range. Can you guys recommend me a 5 string (fretted) that fills these criteria that is verssatile enough too? My price range is around £700, which according to my computer is $1000 (roughly). Any help? :help:

EDIT- Forgot to mention that I'm looking at a Lakland 55-01 right now, and I quite like it. Anything better in my price range?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You can seldom go wrong with a Lakland. Perhaps a Lakland Skyline (import version) would do just fine for you.

3. Best thing is to try some in shops, altho, i notice your in the uk too, so, maybe its not the best advice as it aint really dooable

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If you're in the $1000 range, you're flirting with a 55-02 (not that I'm biased :D).

If that's a hard limit then you could also consider a 55-01 with the upgraded NTMB preamp the same one that's in the 55-94 and 55-02.

A used G&L L-2500 is another possibility. I considered one before getting my 55-02. Of the top of my head I don't remember the string spacing on them but I'm thinking it was a little narrower, like 17mm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.