Using a BadAss II on a short scale?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NukeBass, Sep 29, 2002.

1. NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    Hello! I did a search and couldn't come up with anything so here is my question.

I have a Gibson SB shortscale that I am looking to put a bridge on and the aftermarket Fender style that is on it is too wide. When you play the E or G string up around the 12th fret the strings almost come completely off the board. My question is can you put a BadAss II on a shortscale and cut the grooves so that the string spacing is correct? I'm not keen on putting any more holes in the body (I've already got the original bridge holes and the 5 holes for the fender bridge) and all the Schaller bridges I've seen with adjustable saddles have the 3 screw configuration. Any advice you have would be appreciated or if you know of another thread that answers this that would be great too. Thanks!
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    About the holes: it's a good idea to install dowels in the unused ones. This is done by drilling a 3/8" diameter hole approximately 1/2" to 5/8" deep into the unused screw hole then installing a 3/8" dowel rod and cutting it off at the surface. You can get a 3/8" dowel rod at virtually any hardware store. With the holes filled up like this, you'll be able to install the new bridge where you need it, and the bridge won't fall out.

About the Badass II: I'm not sure if they make one that has the string spacing you need for the Gibson SB. Once you know the string spacing at the bridge for the SB, you can go to a website like ALLPARTS and order the bridge you need. If the string spacing for the Badass II is too wide for the SG, you won't have that straight string pull (which helps sustain), and if you play it too hard, you might end up pulling the string right out of the saddle.
  3. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Maybe you need to try one of these

See the "indi bass bridge system" ?, I think I order me 4 of these because I have an Eko shortscale (piccolo) bass and so I have the same problem as you.

The Eko has lots of string-cross-talk so I need a better bridge, and with these seperate saddles you don't need to worry about cross-talk.
  4. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    If you don't desire original equipment (or close to it), that may be the way to go.
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The original Badass (not Badass II) was designed for the Gibson EB series of basses. Isn't the SB similiar to the EB? I'd look at the original Badass.
  6. NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    The SB looks a whole lot like an EB, but with single coil pickups. What's the spacing on an original BadAss? That would be great if it'll work. If not, the indi system will probably be the way to go.

Thanks for the replies!
  7. radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    dunno about the badass 1, but the badass 2 has uncut saddles, so you'd have to set the spacing yourself ( or take it to a luthier)
  8. Some schaller bridges have adjustable spacing, i have used them on short-scales to good effect.

schaller model 3-D4 & model 460

also gotoh makes a new series that are adjustable for spacing, as well as up/down/back/forth

try gotoh model 206B