Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using a bow?...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tecx, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I use a bow (actualy a 3/4 violen bow) for some texture on occation (with lots of delay). Does anyone else use a bow, or have anything to say?.. I have posted this before with no result... :(

Alex

2. Several years ago I tried a bow. I found it hard to use on the A and D strings. I kept hitting the E and G strings. I did know a guy who put a cello bridge (I think) between the normal bridge and the pickups, to get the strings to arch. It ruined the intonation, and he had to put a huge shim in the neck, but other than that it sounded like crap. :D

He also used a cello bow, so that may have been the problem.

What kind of strings are you using? I've read that rounds will tear up the bow hairs.

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am only using it on the D and G strings anyway.. Actualy the bass I was using the bow on did have rounds on.... But now it has flats... The rounds didn't tear the bow up, don't forget you only need the ever so most gentle touch... I used to play upright, so i have the knowlage from that..

Alex

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Yeah man. Thats a cool idea. Except I can't understand how you can hit either the D or A string considering that there is no arch from a curved bridge. But if you can do it all the more power to you. I'll have to give it a shot someday. Do you have a lot of rosin on the bow? That could make things really sticky if you leave to much on the bow and since we have electronic pickups you shouldn't need much, just enough to grip the strings and make them vibrate enough. Plus the strings are so thick with grooves in them already should help.

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    **** man, sorry I meant E and G, I usualy only use the E - most of the time... and Yes the strings alredy have friction so it works better, and in fact synthetic bow/hairs work WAY better than real ones.... and about the pups, I ither bow by the bridge, or by the neck... its real fun, and the crowd will think you are super cool!.. :cool: well or a big geek! :p

Alex