Using a cab for car subwoofers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jarrhead, Aug 16, 2009.

1. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    That's right. Is it possible and how so? My friend is getting 2x15 and I gave him the lecture on the qualities of different speaker sizezs but maybe its different for cabs/cars

Anyways, how could this be done?

He could get much better tonal qualities if he used a cab instead of just 2 15 subwoofers for his truck. =P

2. All speakers need to be mounted in some kind of a enclosure that has been cubed and speced out for the speakers requirements.
    If the 2x15 cab is 4 Ohms then a Decent Car Amp should have no problem pushing it,but when you confine 15's in a car it does change how they sound as it can take up to 30 feet or so for the full bass wave to develop.
    So what Im saying is that the cab will sound much different in the car than outside,also you are going to need alot of mids and highs to keep up with the 2x15.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

A bass cab is designed to reproduce the instrument's full tonal range well. Subwoofers are designed to reproduce a completely different range, very limited at that.

Just as you wouldn't like using only a sub for your bass, he won't like all the upper frequencies that come from an instrument cabinet.

4. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    If he got 10" speakers (im a 410 fan myself. I tried to convince him they give more punch than a 15.) would he be able to hear them well? hes got an F150 so shes got like.. two feet between him and the subs. lol

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021