Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using a car subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 15, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i was cleaning out the garage today and came across a car subwoofer i found awhile back. i work in the car buisiness and this was in the trunk of a car that came through, no i didnt steal it, i work with an auto wholeseller so the car was ours anyways.

anyway, i decided to hook it up to my drummers Ampeg V-9 SVT, and it worked after some wire tweaking, its a pretty old piece. the bottom end was ok, for a sealed cab, the mids were excellent, especially the low which i love, the highs were crisp and clear, i had to actually turn the tone down a bit. i got to some pretty great volumes, but i didnt play through it very long.

i stopped since i am not sure of the ohms of this cabinet. the ampeg can go 4 but im not sure about 2 and if it will hurt if its not at 4.. does anyone know the usual ohms of car audio, or do they even bother to consider it?

its a 12" 500 watt speaker, it says on the front, i cant take apart the cab since the capet was done after screwing it together and i dont want to rip aything.

does this seem to be likely to damage anything? i am getting my carvin R1000 tomorrow and want to try all my cabinets but will this car box do any damage?

thanks
    by the way until im sure im not going to try it anymore

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Car audio is almost always 4 ohms. So you should be OK provided you don't try to add any more speaker cabs.

You can check with a multimeter. Note that you're actually measuring DC resistance, so the readout will not be exactly 4 ohms, but it will give you an idea.

For example, My 8 ohms cabs produce a readout of 6.9 on the multimeter. That's closer to 8 than 4, so it's safe to cay it's an 8 ohm cab. My 4 ohm cabs returns a reading of 3.1.

3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    thanks for the quick reply, i was actually thinking of bi amping it with my R1000, using carvin RL115, and the sub, with he carvin the lows and the sub with 200hz and up, or try it the other way. that would 4 ohms a side any thoughts?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh you're using a power amp!

Yep 4 ohms a side should work ok. But car audio subs are ineffieicnt compared to music instrument speakers - that's the trade off for going much lower.

In other words, fed an equal amount of watts, your Carvin cab will put out more volume than the car sub. You may have to adjust for this with the power amp volume controls.

Let us know how it goes.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You gotta love car subs and their 60 dB of efficiency.
    It will sound terrible, unless you plan to play in a club the size of a pickup truck.

6. Mine don't.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Yours isn't a single 12" and you're feeding them a nice dose of watts.

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Mine are 92db efficiency, and I think they sound fine.

I do have (2) 1x12 cabs but I don't always use them both for practice.

I feed each of my subs about 50% of a 350w amp for practice.