using a cloth for muting??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blong1, Dec 27, 2000.

1. blong1

Apr 10, 2000
    hi all,
    i have a problem with muting on some of the songs that i play. now, i have heard of people putting some kind of cloth or something under the strings at the nut to help keep strings from ringing out. what is it exactly that you do and how many people do this? any pros or cons? thanks.
  2. I tried putting a rubber band around the nut...Didn't work too well. I just palm mute now.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    In his Bass Player interview, Tony Levin mentions using a disposable diaper under the strings by the bridge. He called it 'Nappy Bass', Nappy being English slang for diapers.

I have used regular cloth diapers under there, (admittedly after reading the Levin piece), but I prefer the flexibility of palm muting, lightly resting the palm of my picking hand on the strings and plucking. Takes a bit of practice to get it right, but now I can get that tubby thump whenever I need it, the natural way with no added ingredients!!!

4. If the problem is that strings ring after you play them you can mute them with your thumb laying across the strings. If you want a mute like a dub or regae mute with your palm at the bridge and play with your thumb. If you want shorter notes all the time you can place a small sponge under the strings at the bridge. This was done on early fenders at the factory between the bridge cover and the strings.
  5. I think Jamerson stuck a small piece of foam rubber in front of the bridge for muting.
  6. blong1

Apr 10, 2000
    it may have been the bridge that i heard...anyway, thanks for the tips guys. i'll try that and see what happens.
  7. you know those "scrunchies" that females use to put their hair up? well, bill dickens, a killer 7-stringer and vic wooten contemporary, did a clinic at my local GC, and he used one of those around the neck for muting. give that a try.
  8. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Here's a great explanation by Ed Friedland of what bassdude is talking about (although I'm guessing bassdude was doing it before Ed was out of short pants):

It definitely takes some work, but gives the best sound. Another thing I found that works decently as a mute is one of those velcro pads that goes on the inside of a bicycle helmet. They're black and almost the same size as a J-bass pickup, so they don't look as goofy as a diaper. :)