Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using a crossover before an FX chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tash, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've off and on toyed with the idea of setting up a rig to let me apply effects just to one part of my signal, i.e. chorus or overdrive on the highs while leaving the lows untouched, or applying heavy compression to my lows while leaving my highs open and shimmery.

I've asked here a couple times about multi band effects but it doesn't seem like they exist besides compressors.

I just came up with this idea (in a fit of insomnia) and am wondering how it would work.

Run the effects send on my M-Pulse to a crossover. Set the crossover at wherever I want the divide between high and low to be, then run the High output to the pedals/effects unit. The low output would be connected to nothing, essentially making the crossover a HPF.

From the effets pedals I'd go back into the FX loop return. The M-Pulse has a wet/dry mix control on the loop itself, so I could mix the wet signal back in only enough for the effects on the highs to be audible, but leave my original signal (which has lows intact) dominant.

Is my thinking flawed or could that actually work?

Here's a diagram if it helps at all:

M-Pulse----->Crossover---Low Output----X
    | |
    | |
    | High Output
    | |
    | FX
    | |
    ------------------

Obviously the key is the wet/dry blend, which, if it works like I think it would, could allow me to pull this off for some really nifty sounding combinations of clean bottom and weirdly processed highs.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    There is nothing inherently wrong with that setup but you may run into phase problems and that can cause problems that undo whatever you are expecting from the setup. If your effects introduce any latency then you will get a phase lag between the direct signal and the wet signal, causing comb filtering. This will cause alternate cut and boost across the frequency spectrum.

Definitely worth a try, but it isn't foolproof.

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Alot of multieffect processors are built this way, I beleive the bassist from RATM used this for his wah sound. +1 on the potential phase problems as well, although many guitarists will use mini-mixers to blend wet and dry signals from multieffects with good results.