1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

using a delay pedal on bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8, Aug 29, 2007.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I've never thought to use one on my bass but can anyone point me to some tunes that use a delay on the bass.

I've got a Marshall Echohead spare but don't know where to start using it :p

Thanks in advance

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It's rarely used on bass as it can get a bit muddy, but one that comes to mind is Stu Hamm on Borg Sex on the Satch Live in San Fran DVD. Can't remember how prominent it was on the actual performance but there was a vid floating around the net of Stu going through his rig and demoing that part.

I sometimes use a fast slap back on my fretless, or regular fretted bass plucked with the thumb and treble rolled off to give a rockabilly upright kinda sound.

I also used a subtle delay with chorus and octaver when I used to play Paul Young's 'wherver I lat my hat'. I don't think Pino used a delay, but it added a certain something.

Personally I think shorter subtle delays work best for bass, unless you're a soloist. Longer prominent delays can get a bit muddy in a band context with all that layered low frequency stuff. My old GT6B could filter out the low end on delays that helped.

Just thought of another one, but doesn't really count. A few band like the shadows used the Fender bass 6, which was essentially a down tuned longer scale guitar with a guitar tone. Delay and reverb sounds wondeful on these.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    The first one that comes to my mind is "Jambi" by Tool. It first kicks in around 1:03, goes on for about a minute, and then gets some further use in a few other parts of the song. It's not just delay, though - I believe it's flanger and delay, IIRC.

"Jambi" also showcases some other cool stuff - the Tonebender and the Guyatone BR-2 being two of them, IIRC.

I know there's more songs out there, though!

4. The Grudge by Tool is a good example of the delay pedal being used with a bass.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Pink Floyd - The Happiest Days of Our Lives, or Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2, whichever has that neat delayed intro thingy.

Jambi is awesome.

I use delay quite frequently in my garbage. Not for typical/regular/normal basslines though.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I use a little slap back here and there. short delay, quiet, no repeats.

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
  8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    "Mary The Ice Cube" by Primus..

9. Farmer and the Dainty Bride by Primus....and some more I cant think of

10. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    The Last Superpower aka Rapscallion (Primus) has some delay aswell, actually a lot of the songs on Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People EP

11. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Carpenter* and the Dainty Bride

12. rockerc

rockerc

Mar 4, 2006
    Rockwall, Texas
    Def Leppard's bassist Rick Savage uses delay on a few of their tunes, one being "Women" I believe is a delay set for a short delay on bass through parts of it such as the verse.

13. "25 O'Clock" by the Dukes of Stratosphear

an excellent tune, sort of a superior version of the Electric Prunes' "I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)"

the bass is very thick sounding and has nice slap back echo

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i use delay when i use my eBow. that thing is awesome and i think every bassist should have one. :)

oh, and just some light delay low in the mix can help beef up parts. i like to do that on guitar solo's.

also, sometimes mud is good. so use delay then.

15. I use delay on a bunch of the songs that my current band does, because it suits our post-punk leanings. My bass part would sound "tacked on" to those tunes, otherwise...

Right now I use an Ibanez Delay Champ (great little analog pedal you can find used on eBay occasionally, and for cheap) but being that I love the way it sounds for guitar, I may get a different delay pedal just for bass, probably one that has a longer maximum delay time (the Delay Champ only has about a half-second max time)

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You might want to check into looping with a tap tempo. I've seen some amazing stuff with other instruments and vocals using this, but mainly solo.

17. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 to ebow and delay.

I use delay almost constantly, but then again I play ambient music and use two delays and two loop stations. Professionally, Claypool uses it often, Southbound Pachyderm is a good example. I've also heard Victor Wooten solo with it.

18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    last band i was in did a slow ballad with a moving bridge that just begged for strings. we didn't have any, so i used the eBow!!! rolled off the bass, added a hair of overdrive, got it to sound amazing! a lot like a cello, but with hair. those things kill!!

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Run Like Hell - Pink Floyd Google it. You can even find exact setting for it.

20. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    "Transcend" - Jean Baudin... it's delay euphoria!!!