1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a drum machine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MicG, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Alright so first of all I realize this thread isn't exactly about basses so if this needs to get moved I understand.

I've got a Native Instruments Maschine. I bought it when I was on a music production kick back in the summer. If you don't know, essentially its a "groove production studio" in a midi controller that still resembles a drum machine. It can't run independently without a computer. Here's the website:
    NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

I'm either going to get rid of it or use it as a practice tool (New Year's resolution-use the gear I got or sell it). Do any of you guys use something this crazy or a drum machine in general? Think Id be better off with something more simple? Thoughts?

2. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    bump

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    A guitar player and I are considering doing an originals thing using a drum machine live. We've had horrible luck with drummers, but we both really like to play out. I used to love drum machines and had an old DX, Linndrum, and several others. If your Maschine is more than you care to tackle right now then get something easier to use. There are massive amounts of drum machines and software nowadays. I would not willingly be without some kind of drum machine for practice, noodling, etc.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I use a drum machine. Still use my oberheim dx and linn 9000 for some things. I have a mc909 Roland machine that I take out for live events when I don't have a drummer. It allows me to have a band. I have an old Alesis HR-16 that I keep with me because it is easy to program for practices when the drummer doesn't show up! EVERY bass player needs a drum machine!

5. Most of my musical work these days is in a computer. I really look forward to when I play with a real drummer.

That said, the drum machine will help your timing as well as your chops.