1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a finger as a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mr. Metal Smith, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Im experimenting with using my index finger as you would a pick, using down and up strokes.

Up untill now I have been using the single finger flicking motion where your thumb rests on the pickup or a string and one finger plucks the string normally and then just flicks back out hitting the string with the nail. I do this for playing fast metal stuff.
    This seems to be a very easy way to play those 16th notes in fast songs.

However, having not used this technique for that long, I see (hear) 2 problems using it:
    1. Fatigue. I get tired from doing this flicking motion pretty fast.
    2. Attack. The notes can seem like a blur because of lack of a distinct attack of each note.

I realize that those problems could be reduced by practicing and developing more enduring muscles and hard skin.

I would think that using a finger as a pick instead, would be less tiresome and easier to get better attack, but maybe a bit harder to play fast and remain control and to revert to the standard fingering position.

So I was hoping ppl would discuss/compare these 2 techniques: using a finger as a pick and the flicking technique. I tried using search, but couldnt find a thread about ONLY this :)

Thoughts, comments?

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been working more on the flick method. I think it could be a valuable technique, especially for faster, tighter shuffle-style parts. I like to play a sort-of 'shuffle-y' version of Bootsy's Hollywood Square with this method, and I don't think that I could do it any other way. The thing is though - the main advantage is that it allows me to use precise thumb-trailing-style muting; I'd think the technique would really sound sloppy if I anchored my thumb anywhere (certainly this Bootsy part would sound terrible).

For the main part in Dred Zeppelin's version of Sunshine of Your Love (psudo-semi-parody-reggae) - Which I believe we play a little faster than the original yet - I have to 'flick'. I simply gave-up on full-time alternation; I just can't hack it - my fingers just tie in a knot or something. Now that I mention it, I suppose I should get back to trying alternation with it in my personal practice - it is a great excercise drill anyway!

As for 'pinched index as a pick' - I do that sometimes, but really only when I'm playing live and screwing a part up (or of course if I drop my pick during a picked song). For instance - when we do Sweet Emotion, I try to use 'Wooten triplets (thumb-down, thumb-up, index pluck on the same string) for that repeating bridge-part between verses (da-di-da duh-da di-dah-da di dah-dah!"), but often when we're playing-out my fingers get all flustered with it, and I go to the pinch-pick 'plan-B' (sigh).

Joe

3. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    Im pretty sure geddy lee does something like this. You might want to check out a video of him playing.