1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using a glove for fretting hand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Christian12, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    I use really cheap gloves, like the ones you get from the dollar store for winter for my fretting hand, for me, it doesnt mute at all, I can do vibratos much easier, and my fingers dont hurt anymore, what do you guys think? I get questioned and made fun of though, but i dont really mind LOL i dont get calluses or pain

Attached Files:

• gg.PNG
      gg.PNG
      File size:
      161.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    This is America. You have every right to look like a dork.

zontar, tastybasslines and ONYX like this.
  3. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I probably shouldn't be too much of a smart alack.

Scott Devine plays with gloves and gives good online lessons, too!

4. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Thought about this some more. I assume you're a beginner on bass and are trying to avoid some of the discomfort that happens with learning to play a string instrument. But you might consider that wearing a glove will severely deprive you of many benefits. Your fingertips convey a lot of information about achieving specific tonality and effects. For example, if you wear a glove, it will be very difficult to do slides, pull-ons, pull-offs, harmonics, double stops, and so forth. If you wear a glove on your plucking hand, it will be difficult to use a pick and pluck double stops. If you use a fretless bass, it will be very difficult if not impossible to make micro adjustments to achieve correct tonality. I believe it's a mistake to pursue the strategy of using a glove. Ultimately, you are depriving yourself of communion with your instrument. It's like having sex with a condom.

I have played with gloves, but only for outdoor gigs where the temperature was in the high 30s/low 40s and to prevent my hands from freezing. But even then, I clipped off the ends of the gloves' fingers to expose my pads to the strings.

Choose wisely, grasshopper! Better to learn how to play your instrument with every possible tool - especially your bare fingers.

tastybasslines and Christian12 like this.
  5. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    Gotcha! And thank you!

6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ukiah said it all. Gloves will dull your senses. I play about an hour a day, and on practice/jam days, it takes about 5 hours before I start to get discomfort from rough fingerpads.

7. I had no idea this was even a thing!

Mr. Sound likes this.
  8. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I was surprised when I first saw some kids busking, and the bass player was killing it and wearing a glove.

Have seen the Devine videos and laughed. It's so Dr Seuss.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I can't play with a glove--so if you can & it helps--go for it.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Scott has focal distonia, an actual medical condition. The glove allows him to keep playing, and he's an amazing player. Always smart to laugh at something you don't understand.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Wow, that sound like some ugly stuff. I'm impressed he can play at all, much less as well as he does.
    I don't think StyleOverShow meant any disrespect. It is an odd thing to see.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  12. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

On the other hand (no pun intended), I subscribed to Scott's Bass Lessons quite early on and talked to some other bass players about it. They almost always said "Scott who? Oh, yeah...they guy with the glove". So in a way, they became a distinguishing feature that became instantly recognisable as part of 'the brand', and judging by the way these lessons seem to be taking off I think that Scott is most likely having the last laugh...

He's probably heard all the glove related comments and laughs a thousand times now anyway and probably immune to jibes about them.

13. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I once played a talent show w my fretless bass accompanying my buddy on Sitar. Our bit opened w him playing a drone opening and myself strutting on the stage in a gorilla suit- complete w thin glove liners. It got a great sound and safely hid my identity.

Added some nice "wooly" attack to my finger picking

14. i had thought that scott did the glove thing on the fretting hand so that viewers could more easily see what notes he was playing....at least for me it seemed I could see it easier. dude kills it
    really enjoy a lot of his lessons and his laid back approach