1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using a guitar amp for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krutchrawker, Mar 8, 2008.

1. krutchrawker

krutchrawker

Jan 23, 2008
    I just received a vintage fender guitar amp. I believe it is a fender bronco from 1968. It is a 60W tube amp for guitar and I was wondering if it was possible to use it with a bass without damaging it. If not i would probably sell it. So i need to know if i should keep it and get a better speaker for it, or if I should sell it and get a bass amp. Also i would like to know where I could sell it and about how much it would sell for.

2. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    You can run a bass guitar through a regular guitar amp, although you need to be careful about not over-boosting your low end. If you have just a 4 string guitar, often you can use it without issue, although I would only recommend this as a low power practice rig. If you run a low B or low F# 5,6 or 7 string, then absolutely not. The super low frequency information has a much higher chance of destroying the speaker with the slightest over-powering.

It is not really a good solution to your need and it's vintage appeal make it an impractical solution, so I would recommend selling it and purchasing a purpose-made bass amplifier.

BTW, the information I have on them is that they are 6 watt, not 60. Let me know if that is wrong.

3. krutchrawker

krutchrawker

Jan 23, 2008
    well on the interior it says 60W power consumption, i guess that isn't the same as output. so the way i understand it is that if I have a five string i shouldn't use it even with it hooked up to a different speaker? Where should i sell it, and for how much? From what i understand it's uncommon.

4. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Recipe for disaster; I would try to sell or trade it for a bass amp. I've never heard of anything good coming from using a guitar amp to play bass through.

5. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Since it is not mine, I won't spend any more time in research than EBay, which shows that there have been several similar amps sold for between $250 and $350 dollars, and one that did not sell for $400.

Hope that helps.

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Hey, Carol Kaye used to play a Precision, through a Princeton, with a pick, and nobody thought worse of her for it.

It usually doesn't sound as good, but as long as you play it at relatively low volumes with somewhat less low end on the amp, it works ok.

7. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    If I am not mistaken, the Bronco was a lot like a Fender Champ, same size, just slightly different cosmetics. I seem to remember red lettering on it or something. I think it was made to go with the short-lived Bronco guitar. Cool little guitar amps. A bass would probably destroy the speaker in about 10 seconds, don't you think?

8. I use a cheap Brownsville guitar amp occasionally toget an amazing Jack Bruce tone. It sounds pretty good, but i"d never use it with a full band.

9. krutchrawker

krutchrawker

Jan 23, 2008
    So if I use a bigger speaker can i use it with my 5 stringer. It is actually really easy to switch the speaker because the default one just unplugs in the back. I have a acoustic brand practice amp but i don't have any pedals, so the bronco is appealing because of its built in tremolo functions.

10. You should definitely sell it and get a bass amp. It might work or it might get ruined but it probably won't sound good. Sell it and buy a used combo and tremolo pedal.

11. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Due to space limitations in my dorm, I run both my 6 string bass and my Les Paul through my 50W Vox Valvetronix guitar amp with a single 12" speaker, and it works like a charm. I mean, I wouldn't ever try to perform on it, and I keep the volumes really moderate, but it's perfectly fine for use as a practice amp. Not sure how your particular amp would do, but the guitar-amp-as-bass-practice-amp thing can work if you're careful.

12. krutchrawker

krutchrawker

Jan 23, 2008
    What i'm most concerned about is prices. I need to know where I can sell this and how much i can get. I'm just a 16 year old on a budget trying to make the best of what i've got. I'd rather just use it if i can't get a good combo or effects pedal by selling it.

13. If this is what I think it is we are talking about a 5 or 10 watt class A guitar combo from the late 60's. Good if you want to sound like Cliff Burton without bothering anyone in the next room. Could be useful for recording fuzz bass stuff. Will not be of much use for anything else. I would think that given the age and make of the thing it would be worth enough to somebody that you could get a decent little combo in exchange.

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I actually use a Fender Princeton Recording Amp as part of my bass rig. I use a standard bass rig to handle the low frequencies and the Princeton to handle the higher frequencies. I use an Alembic SF-2 to filter down the frequencies below 600hz from going to the Princeton. I think the setup works quite well.

Bones

15. krutchrawker

krutchrawker

Jan 23, 2008
    hmm.... interesting. i might be able to upgrade from my 20 watt acoustic amp for that price. does anybody have any idea where i could sell it besides the internet???

16. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Your best bet is most likely going to be craigslist...but if you dont want to go the route of the internet find a mom and pop music shop in your area that will let you go in on a trade for a bass amp

17. the only thing you will damage is the speakers. it may start to overdrive the tubes from the lower frequency, which may well turn the sound to mush on a guitar amp of that vintage.

18. krutchrawker

krutchrawker

Jan 23, 2008
    what about GC. i probably would get ripped off huh?

19. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I would not suggest trading to gc they will most likely hose you on the trade...typically they will offer you 40-60% of the going rate on ebay