using a guitar amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cave in, Nov 28, 2003.

1. cave in

cave in

Nov 28, 2003
    i've seen this done alot before, lemmy from motorhead did it, the bassist of HIM, the bassist of cave in. i like the tone in these instances, but i want to ask about the safety of this, for the amp and cabinet and/or the bass.

i heard you shouldn't do it with an amp that has more than one channel.

i really don't know about the electronical logistics of this. i plan on playing a gibson grabber bass through a marshall mosfet (solid state)100 watt head with a clean and gained channel and a marshall jcm 800 4X12 cab.

does anyone know about doing this type of thing?

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Most guitar cabinets are not designed to produce low frequencies.
    Guitar 4x12 cabs are usually shallow and closed. Most cabinets (but not all) designed to produce deep low frequencies are deeper and ported.

I have seen many bassists blow speakers in guitar cabinets - sometimes using a guitar head. Most guitar speakers are not designed to handle much power or produce low frequencies.

Note that Marshall does manufacturer bass cabinets with 4x12s - these are different (and larger) than the 4x12 guitar cabinets.

Marshall Bass cabs:
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It certainly won't hurt the head or the bass. But, as mentioned, if you play it at band performance levels very long, you'll waste the cabinets.

Also, you'll never get good bottom end out of the cabs. They aren't ported.