Using a Guitar head and a bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I am totally new to amps, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. Can I play a bass through a Traynor guitar head and just any old bass cab? Or will I ruin them both?
  2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    That will work fine. Just don't play through a guitar cabinet! I tried my Trace Elliot Speed Twin guitar head through my Epifani 4x10 and it was pretty nice. Not amazing volume, but pretty decent for practicing IMO.
  3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Well, I'm looking for something loud =\ Will a guitar head not cut it?

And also, is cranking your amp to full volume, keeping your bass on low volume and turning it up to crunch bad for the speaker? I'm sure Shellac's Bassist does it instead of using an effect pedal, but he dosn't hurt his speaker. And I probably will =\
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I bet you find a guitar head is pretty quiet. A hot guitar head is 100w, while it's pretty common for bass heads to make 300-1,000 watts. I bet you get lost in the mix.

Some folks will run their sound thru a crossover and feed the highs thru a guitar rig, then it's about like a normal guitar signal.
  5. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    youll be plenty loud as long as you have a loud cab (6x10 or bigger)

Ive used an ampeg v4 guitar head, 100 watts and it did two things. 1) Nailed the shellac bass tone 2) Almost shook my house off of its foundation
  6. Yes it will work and no it shouldn't ruin anything. Just fiddle with the knobs until it sounds good. There may be some guitar effects like reverb, tremelo, etc. Turn them all the way down for now. As others have said, it may not have enough power to drive the bass amp to a high enough level. Only you can determine if it will meet those needs. But, I don't think you need to worry about ruining anything....:D
  7. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    doesn't the gain of a guitar amp effect the voice coil.

I'm not sure but I think I remember a good source telling me that it runs the voice coil in your speakers to hot.

I own a traynor bassman YBA-1 that I'm about to sell and I know that people use that for guitar amps aswells as bass amps. but as far as the head room, the clipping, not to mention the power for the dynamics your speakers are looking for it's risky business.

If you really want your bass going through something like a guitar amp then buy a old crappy bass amp (make sure it's old!!!). I have an old amp(not the traynor).

Guys were talking about in another forum how to get that roundabout sound (chris squire) and I managed to get it spot on. Some of the guys were saying that chris squire used guitar amps back in the day (round about being on of the songs).
  8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Could I get a 50 watt guitar head, a 115 cab and a run the guitar head into a 200 wattish PA or something?
  9. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    If you don't have enough power you'll clip and that's bad. However I've seen on a Gallien Kreuger manual they had two 400 watt 410's hooked up to their 400RB which is only a 240 watt head at 4 ohms.

However this wouldn't be your main concern.
    it's not only a matter of power.

Here we're talking about gain. And when you think about it, guitar amps were made with the gain to suit a guitar speaker. With guitars amps when you drive a bass speaker with an extra hot signal it could mean that you fry the voice coil meaning you waisted a whole lot of money on a good speaker.

It still works it's just that you're not getting the dynamics out of your bass speaker (think dull sounding speakers).

If you want to do this look for something that's not going to cost you a lot of money!
  10. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    If you really want to do something like this go with a vintage amp. You get good gain yet some of these amps guitar players use. Sometimes you can find something that is a great deal.

Eg. fender bassman, Yorkville YBA, just about anything Ampeg etc.

I'm selling mine and I'm only going to looking for about 350 canadian. And these things are built like tanks!!! The only thing you may need to do an upgrade on is the bias, tube and sockets.

I did this on mine and I haven't had a problem

Also I know that there are a lot of good schematics for hotrodding your amp!:cool:

Eg. replacing 6L6 power tubes with EL34's or 6550's etc.
  11. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Well, I'm about go shopping for my first amp. And I really like Bob Weston of Shellac's tone, and he plays out of a cheap Traynor solid state head. I was just thinking I could try to find one :(

I heard you could get a Traynor head and a 115 cab for around $300, and I have $500 to spend. I have no idea what to get, but I want Bob Weston or Dave Riley's tone :(
  12. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Look on hamrony central and look at the YBA-1 reviews

I think you'll like it

and try a 15 from ampeg
  13. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    All the reviews were by crazy guitarist, and saying that it distorts at higher volumes. Think this will be loud at all through a bass? Will it hurt the cab? Because I will be tempted to crunch :(
  14. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    how loud are you wanting to play?
  15. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Garage bandish.. Maybe a small club at loudest =p
  16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I know a guy who's been playing for years through the same 100 watt marshall head and sunn 215 cab his tone while rather unique is great!

17. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    For that amount to spend I think I have an idea.

I wouldn't go with anything above 200 watts!

tube amps even though it's rated at 50 watts they have a lot of current which makes up for the lack of power. I've heard of people putting 410's but I also don't nkow how long their cabs lasted. Although I know Ampeg used to have a 50watt all tube amp but they've recently pumped the wattage to 100 watts. Still that says something about their cabs.

Check out

Gallien Kreuger Backline 15
    Ampeg SVT115 E
    Hartke TP115
    (look around for good prices and I think you should meet budget)

These should be good when driving the speakers with a lot of gain (distortion).

Also look around for anything that is around 100 to 200 watts that is in a 112

As for the traynor YBA-1 I reccomend that you get familiar with an HONEST amp guy in your area.
    It pays off big time!!! especially if you'd like to do mod's in the future. Don't try a do-it-yourself unless you've gotten trained under a good amp guy!!!

Ask questions! about all types of stuff about tube amps

Also if you're going to buy the YBA-1 if you can try and get somebody you trust to look at the

tube sockets
    (don't be persuaded by a pretty face!)

And if you buy the Traynor have it serviced at least once a year (check up).

for any other info you can check out these websites:

(extremely good info for anything traynor)

(another mod site)
  18. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I just called about 11 used music stores around me, and noone has any traynor stuff :(
  19. steve_man

May 15, 2002

Try and find somebody that is selling one. Want ads, ebay,

It might take some effort but even if you can't find em try stuff like ampeg.

Also ask yourself is there anything else that you could get.

It sounds like this will be your first or second amp?

Well I can suggest to you looking at Gallien backline, Tech 21 preamp pedals for distortion (if you choose to get an amp that doesn't have any distortion features), ash down electric blue. If you want you could start another thread about good combo amps for around $500.

ultimately you are the person who's buying and a lot of opinions are biased to brand names (and artists), expensive and they are not you! Remember you're spending the money.
  20. steve_man

May 15, 2002