1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using A Half Stack AND a Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassninja7, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    i have a 450w 1/2stack running at 8ohms, (410)

i play at my church and im not getting as much volume as i would like, so i can hear my tone and not the notes ya know?

the church HAS a 100w 15" crate combo, can i just line out from the head into the combo and then just adjust the volume so it sounds equal?

i run my amps flat i have a sansamp running through the fx loop

thanks to any and all advice:)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude, if you can't get the volume you want out of a 450w half stack with a 410 in a church of all places, adding a piddly little 100w 15" combo isn't going to make a lick of difference. Do you tilt your 410 back? I have a feeling you don't, and all your sound is blowing past you except for the lows. Try tilting it back to a point where you get mids and highs up to your ears. You'll probably discover that you actually need to turn way the heck down. That is crazy insane volume unless your church seats 2000 or more and they yell and scream the whole time.

BTW, flat is good, but don't be afraid to make slight mid boosts if you still struggle to hear.

3. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    yea i guess i should have mentioned that after the service when everyone leaves my band gets up on stage to practice, guitars have a 50w all tube combo(and everyone knows tube is a hell-of-alot louder than a ss amp) and a 120w half stack (both on 7 or better) and a drummer who is crazy loud.

my amp can over power them during the service. but after.....

i am looking to add a 15 speaker so i can get the most outta my head and run it cooler, then eventually get an all tube head. like the peavey vb2 or a svt classic

do you guys think 220w(vb2) at 4ohms will be good enough for a medium-large gig?(500 or less ppl) or should i go with the ampeg?
    OR:
    what about running the vb2 at 8omhs thats like...150w at best right?

thanks for you feedback any, and all.

4. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    so wait... what amp do you have now? does it deliver 450 watts into 8 ohms?

i love using tube amps perhaps as much as anyone, but most likely, moving to a tube amp with less than half of the power output is NOT going to make you louder or more articulate, particularly if you use the same cabinet.

the above advice to elevate or tilt-back your cabinet is sound (no pun), and really can go a long way in helping you hear what you need/want to hear without changing the amp settings. one caveat: elevating the cabinet *might* destroy your low end, at least from your perspective. (depending on the player, "destroy" might = "tighten up"). this advice also works (and arguably more so) for your gui****s, and will make them seem much louder to themselves, which is *usually* enough to prompt them to turn down a little. usually.

5. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH

ill have to try tilting it back.

the amp is a 450w ss @ 4 ohms but its running at 8 so i have to push it a little to be heard....
    i think for now im gunna at a 15
    maybe 400handling with 200rms

right now my 410 cab is 700handling with 300rms
    so i should be ok.....

thanks again!:bassist:

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, all you need is to get yourself an 8 ohm 15" cab and add it to what you have already. A big tall monster with the 410's up at ear level, Problem solved, saved you a bunch of $$$ not buying a new rig, AND, you still get to buy a new toy, in the form of a sweet 1x15.