Using a head as a preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Alright, sorry if this has been discussed to hell and back, but I need to know if this will work without blowing something up.

Say I want to use my current bass head (200 watts @ 8 ohms) as a preamp for a power amp. Would I use the line out jack on the front of the head which has a 1/4 inch jack, or the DI jack on the back of the head with an XLR jack. Furthermore, I've never been able to figure out what the Lift and Ground switch does in the DI section. Thanks for your help.
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Use the line out - that'll work just fine.

The only problem is that the preamp output may not be matched to the input requirements of the power amp, thus you may not be able to utilize the power amp to its fullest without making some internal changes to the preamp.

What kind of preamp do you have? I used a Trace, which also had the line out on the front. It didn't push the power amp enough, though.
  3. *sigh*, Its a rogue bass head, sorry to say, but it served me well the past year or so. I know rogue gets bad reviews on most everything they make, but this head actaully wasn't that bad. I'll be selling it eventually and saving up for an ampeg SVP-Pro preamp. I'll be running it through a QSC USA 1310 series power amp.
  4. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I just bought a QSC RMX 2450...using the line out of my Hartke far so good. Very heavy in one rack case though.