Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using a Heat Gun

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SixString, Feb 27, 2004.

1. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I was told by a friend that an easy way to remove a coat of paint on a bass like a fender is to use a heat gun. I was wonder how i could go about doing this if it is true? I am in the middle of putting togeather a fender bass. I bought a new neck and bridge intend to buy new knobs new pickguard and new machine heads I'd liek to be able to strip the paint down to natural wood then apply a dark stain on it would the heat gun work or give me too much grief?

2. This technique works well especially with the type of finish most Fenders have. It's a thick poly that is murder to sand through but responds well to heat and a sharp putty knife. You'll have to make a break through the finish somewhere to begin to peel it off. Heat the area until soft and get the knife under it and peel. Be careful not to pry against the body or you'll be repairing divots.