1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a hipshot to go from B to A, what sting size?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Veldar, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a hipshot for my 6 string Warwick so I can go from a low B to a low A.

Right now I use a 125 for my B string but it sounds horrible when I drop it to A, I use DR stings on my Warwick rockbass.

I can get a set the same as mine but with a 130 for my B and I was wondering if that would tune to B fine as well as doing the low A?

EDIT: My basses scale length is 34".

Cheers, Sam.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
  3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    .130? haha :) my experience is a .145 minimum for A to avoid poor tone and unplayable floppiness, this retunes to B well also. D'Addario tapered .145s are good, make sure to get a tapered string.

4. A 145, I'm pretty sure that my hands would bleed if I played. :p

I'm going for a alex webster type tone, but with more growl.

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    .140 will barely work. .145 is best.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    .130 and . 135 are just too poor. .140 is okay, but with a 34'' scale it is better to go with .145, or .150 if you like.. But I guess you won't xD

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    A .145 at B looks numerically big but has similar tension to a .105 E.

8. Well I might get a .145 from circle K, I play DR string Hi beams, how different is the tone?

I love the tension of my .105, will the .145 have the tension when tuned to B, I only drop it to A when I play in my metal band put I mostly use B.

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    You have to find out for yourself when it comes for the tone ;) I can't tell about that :p

10. Damn you people, I'm getting a set of circle K's once I make up my mind about gauges. :)

11. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    On the D'Addario tension chart you can see the nickelplated and steel .145s when tuned to B have tensions within 1 pound of the .105s tuned to E. So yes although this tension match may vary a little between brands.
    The Circle K tension chart (go look!) has .106 and .142 matching in tension. Their Bs get amazing reviews for clarity and tone at high gauges.

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I REALLY encourage you to consider a .150 if you are going to switch between A and B . . . The B will be quite clear and not all that much tighter than a .142 will be.

Fwiw a .142 tuned to A will be looser than a .095 tuned to E. The .150 tuned to B would be similar to a .110 tuned to E. Retuning is always a compromise - and you should set up the low string tuned to A#/Bb for intonation purposes.

13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    What do you recommend for Drop Bb (Bb F Bb Eb Ab) ?

14. Wow okay, I'll get a .145 as long as you promise my hands won't bleed, I don't want the tension of my B super tight and I don't mind is my A isn't super tight.

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    As long as they are not Stainless Steel, you should be fine ;)

16. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The tension on a .145 OR a .150 tuned to B will be lower than the tension you currently have on your bass' standard A string. If your fingers don't bleed when you play right now they won't bleed when you make the change to a thicker low string - promise.

17. Okay I'm going to do a custom set with .145 .106 .076 .055 .039 .028 in it, becasue I like my higher stings to give more, thank you very much for all the help. :D

18. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    ^ Inverted tension, nice :D Hope to see CKS inverted tension sets one day perhaps ;)

19. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The new site will allow all sorts of fun stuff . . . . like I haven't confused enough people already.

:D

20. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Heheh, its so good to have a string brand where the choice is overwhelming, for example you have 265 different 4 string sets!
    New site ... now this is exciting.