1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a keyboard amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corbeau, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I've been using a keyboard amp for my bass. In particular, I've been using the Roland KC550 - http://www.roland.com/products/en/KC-550/

I'm fairly happy with the sound coming out of it, but I was wondering if I should instead go for a dedicated bass amp? If I was going to go that route, I was thinking of either a Markbass or a Gallien Krueger, but both cost a bit so I want to make sure that a purchase is completely worthwhile.

Any opinions?

2. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Of course getting a proper bass amp will have more of a detailed sound for bass guitar not like a keyboard amp.
    I used a Peavey Keyboard combo amp for a year & it was great.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I use one of those as a personal monitor at church and it does a fine job. Very versatile.

I also use a 12" version in my bedroom as a practice amp. I love the multiple inputs so my wife can plug in her keyboard and we can play together

Do you like the sound of it? does it have enough power for you? Is there a different amp out there that you think you sound better on?

4. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Another option would be using a bass preamp in front of the keyboard amp. I've run a Sansamp BDDI through a keyboard amp successfully when I needed a smaller coffee shop rig.

The Sansamp gave me more useful EQ points than the keyboard amps EQ section.

5. A keyboard amp is basically a small PA system. What you put in is what comes out. If you want to color your sound (as most bass amps do), run a preamp or pedal in front of it. If you're happy with the sound, you certainly aren't harming the amp.

Arnel M. likes this.
  6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you like the sound and it's loud enough for you, why spend all that money?

+1 to trying an effect or eq pedal in front of it if you want more tone control/different sounds, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to go try out some bass amps and see what you think, but, don't think you have to buy one just because it says "bass amp". If your amp sounds good and isn't farting out the speakers at your required volume, it's fine.

Arnel M. likes this.
  7. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I think I'll stick with using the Roland for now. It's loud enough that I can keep up with any setting when I'm jamming. I might try an EQ pedal.

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I really like my fishman pro EQ with the DI. Used it for over ten years without a problem

9. I have a Roland KC-100. It does fine for a low volume amp for both bass and 6-string guitar. I run my bass thru my Eden WTDI, then to the KC. I run the 6-string through a POD X3 to the KC. The amp is enough for practice and the small jam/lesson session I have once a week.