1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a looper to adjust your pedal board...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Addison, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Manager - Zon Guitars
    I recently watched one of Juan Aldrete's vids (pedalsandeffects.com for those of you who are totally missing out) and in it I could hear his bass playing and I was watching both of his hands tweaking one of his pedals while he was talking.

For a second I was like... uhhh... is someone else playing bass while he tweaks the knobs?

:confused:

Now, I am admittedly a little slow lately because of a lack of sleep, but it all came together when he said something like "Using a looper is a great way to try out different settings on your pedals."

I had one of those, "Why the hell didn't I think of that?" moments and raced home to try it.

WOW! What a time saver and a FANTASTIC way to set up your pedal board! I feel like a frikkin' idiot for not having thought of this before.

I looped a few sample phrases through my Boomerang, made sure the levels matched my bass, and dialed in all of my pedals in a matter of a few minutes. It was WAAAAY better than playing, tweaking, playing, tweaking, playing, tweaking...

After I was done, I stopped the looper, did a few final checks, made a couple of minor tweaks, and I was done.

Anyway... for those of you with loopers that are slow like me... I highly recommend doing this for a "quick and easy" tweak session.

:D

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Loopers are fantastic, just wait until you have a gig with no sound guy... run a loop and tweak yourself from all angles of the room!

3. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    I have done this on the past- it is a great way to separate the physicality of playing from your perception of the actual sound coming out of the pedals, which is good for getting a more honest look at what your effects sound like.

And it's fun.

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I used my M9 to loop myself in rehearsals once, then started playing organ. Took the other guys in the band a little while to work out what was going on. :)

5. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    This is all great stuff guys, many thanks!!
    -Sean