using a loud combo at home & away

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshyk, Sep 19, 2005.

1. freshyk

Aug 23, 2005
    I'm looking at upgrading toward my first 'medium' size rig, b/c my practice amp (cube 30) gets completely lost beside a drum kit or guitar. Now considering a great deal on a Nemesis nc210 combo (AU$750 sounds good, hey?)
    My question: If I trade in my practice combo toward a 250 watt combo, will the bigger box sound any good at very low volume, when practicing at home? Does a bigger and more powerful amp need room to run in order to show its worth?
  2. freshyk

Aug 23, 2005
    using a combo for at-home practice plus small jams in a practice room, is the Nemesis nc210 overkill -- would a cube 100 be better suited for maybe $100 less?
    (the cube is 10 lbs lighter)
  3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    thats an awesome deal on the NC210 - i got mine for a tad over a grand!
    and no - the Nemesis sounds fine at low volumes, doesn't need to be cranked to "show its worth"
    and no - 250w would not be overkill IMHO - you can never have enough

the Nemesis kills the Cube 100...

i say get the Nemesis - you're not gonna find a better deal on those combos down here man... :)
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Nemesis should sound fine at low volume. I used to own one of these and never found it to be overkill.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope. It will sound good super loud, or at low volume. I used my Eden Metro for practice and gigs. I always thought it was nice to have the Metro for practice. That way I could jack up the volume and rip into something if I felt like it, or play something loud to get an idea how it will sound at gigging volumes.

6. freshyk

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I just went to act on that advice and OUCH -- too late :rollno: it is gone.
    Can get a nc115 for $770, but the 15 doesn't seem as attractive as 2 tens.

Please let me know, anyone, if you know of a blowout deal on comparable amps in Australia.
    (a week ago I almost bought a bassman 100 for $750 -- now I hope to get something much nicer and louder, though my limit is still around AU$800.)