1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using a phono preamp for garageband

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by skwee, Oct 23, 2010.

1. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Hi all! I was hoping that I could just plug my jag into my macbook pro's audio input and record into garageband. Unfortunately, the signal strength is too low to be favorable (I kind of knew this going in). I so have a radio shack stereo pre-amp (that I've used for my record player) sitting around. If I were to add this to the loop would I blow up my mac's input, or would this work give me the signal strength I'm looking for?

2. Citymariner

Citymariner

Sep 18, 2010
    Lincoln, UK
  3. Don't worry about blowing up your macbook's imput. The worst thing that could happen if the preamp signal is to strong is that you're going to get a distorted sound. Try it, if the signal is too strong and the preamp doesn't have gain control then use you bass' volume knob.
    That been said, if you can afford it buy a USB audio interface. It will give better results, some interfaces even come with amp modeling software, like the Line6 interfaces.

4. ahh bapbap.. wait a minute.

phono preamps have a built in EQ curve with will NOT sound good. vinyl is printed with a very drastic EQ curve built in to make large grooves in the record (so the needle stays in place), and a phonograph preamp applies the opposite curve to make it sound right again.

get a digital interface. not only will it sound better, you wont have to worry about blowing anything up.

5. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Got it. Yeah, I do have an Ozone that I can work through, but that's in the bedroom. Just getting lazy I guess! thanks.

6. The only thing is that even if he hooks the phono pre to his macbook he won't blow anything up.

7. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    This thread is practically wayback machine by now, but I tried out the phone pre-amp tonight. Whoa: way too much distortion. I layed down a fun little line with it, but it was a little over the top for my taste. However, now I know what it sounds like!

8. Does your amp have headphone output?