Using a power amp with just one output for 2 cabs? can it be done?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Jan 5, 2004.

1. I'm looking at picking up one of the Crown XLS602s off of ebay. They seem like a pretty good value, and put out 1680 watts in bridged 4 ohm mono mode. My question is this: I've got 2 cabs right now, an Avatar 2x10 and an SWR Workingman 1x15. The SWR is going to be replaced with an Acme Low B2W soon. The XLS amps have only one output, a single Neutrik Speakon (there are binding posts also, but those are useless as far as I am concerned). How is it possible to run 2 cabs, making use of both channels, using this one output? Neither of my cabs have speakons, either. Is it possible to use an adapter of some kind to connect with?
  2. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Im guessing your cabs have 1/4" inputs. If so you should be able to get a speaker cable with a speakon on one end and a 1/4" on the other end. Then you run that cable from the amp to one cab and run the other cab from the second input on the first box (assuming it has one).
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Not according to this they don't:

I think you'll find the Avatar and Acme's sensitivity so different that bridging won't work too well, in which case you may be better getting a more powerful amp that can run one cab off each side.

4. It's a 4 pole Speakon. So it has both channels in one cable. +1/-1 is the positive/neg of the 1st channel. +2/-2 is the positive/neg of the 2nd channel. Or you could just use the binding posts w/ a banana plug.

If you use the speakon, you'll pretty much need a custom cable. The binding posts would be easier. Then you could control the gains of the individual channels from the front.