Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using a practice amp as a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guest100, Dec 15, 2005.

1. guest100

guest100

Dec 15, 2005
    Is it possible to just use a practice amp as a head and just connect it to a cab?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, if it has an output jack, but chances are it won't have adequate power.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    If you don't have a combo yet, it is good to get a combo with an "extension speaker" connection. some combos have this where you can run the combo speaker AND the extra cabinet. for some users this is adequite for a while. I eventually grew out of this and had to go separates with 350w into 4ohm into two 12" cabs.

Combos with extension is usually good for small rooms and small room practices. its nice to have a couple hundred watts like the yorkville xm200 which has 15" with extension output.

[​IMG]

$520 new, cheaper used.

4. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Yeah i did it with my ampeg BA-500 for a while. its basically and SVT-350 with a 2X10 connected to it. That had plenty of power alone. I only added another 2X10 to get the sound to my ear level

5. guest100

guest100

Dec 15, 2005
    the amp is only 16watts. Would the cab fry it or just not be very loud? If possible I don't want to get the head and cab at the same time because then I can spend more money on each.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    not loud AT ALL

7. guest100

guest100

Dec 15, 2005
    would it make it any louder than the practice amp already is? Even a little bit would help just till I buy a head

8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    What's your price range?

16w isn't enough for anything outside of personal practice. Pushing it hard enough to be heard with a band, if even possible, would have a high probability of damaging the amp.

We may be able to help steer you to an affordable solution if we know your price range.

9. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Me too. With a 4x10. Louder than love.

10. guest100

guest100

Dec 15, 2005
    £300 to £400. I have been looking on www.gak.co.uk because the shop is right near where I live and they have deals on heads and amps together which I can go but I have no idea which one to get. I am not bothered about getting 'my preffered sound' because I don't have one yet. I just want a setup that can handle small small venues and let me add to it when I need to.

BTW, thanks for the help

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to put it inperspective. we have arguments/discussions on here all the time regarding minimum wattage needed for gigs, practices with others, etc. In these discussions the "low ballers" are the ones who say they can get away with 100 or 150 watts. Somewhere around 200 - 400 watts is a more typical amount. Check out the "check here before asking........FAQ" sticky at the top of the amps forum for a lot of interesting threads on that an related topics.

15 watts is like taking a unicycle on the freeway.

guaranteed the 15 watt amp you have doesn't have an extension jack for a seperate speaker. If it does, (or if you had it modified to have one) it could power a bigger cabinet (as long as you kept it at or above the minimum impedance the amp could handle, probably 8 ohms in the case of an amp like that, which means you'd have to disconnect the internal speaker and use an 8 ohm external cab). However, it wouldnt get loud enough to make such modifications worthwhile.

12. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    My Fender Bassman 25 plugged into an Ashdown Mag115 cabinet will shake the house...

13. Ive seen used peavey Firebass heads with a 410 cab go for £400 on ebay, i paid £500 for mine but that was a few years ago, definatly loud enough :D