Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using a practice amp for distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    can you run a practice amp on exploding levels with a line out/headphone jack out into a louder amp and use the practice amp's cheesey dyeing tone without hurting your own amp?

2. I had a similar thought while playing through a small Park(made by Marshall) practice guitar amp.
    With the gain turned up the distorted tone was just sick and I got an idea that this little amp might be used as part of a bi/tri amped rig to put my highs through.
    It seems possible.

Glenn

3. Sure, it's possible, you can run from the "Line Out" jack to another amp or the PA and run the practice amp until it is ready to croak. Keep the input gain on the receiving amp down though.

But why? The distorted sound of transistors being toasted will make your audience cringe. It may sound good and funky in your bedroom, but amplified to a club-filling level...give the world a break!!!

4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I have an 2x10 bass combo, and the distortion I want is out of a Traynor 2x8 guitar practice combo.

I want to split my signal, run my highs to the guitar amp and back into the amp's -15 db input. Or not even do that, if the combo is loud enogh. And then run my clean signal into bass combo's the regular input. How could I go about doing this? :x Would it work?