Using a pre and a poweramp, or one unit?..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Preamp - Poweramp

17 vote(s)
  2. All in one head

6 vote(s)
  1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am trying to make my mind up wether to get a preamp and a poweramp (Ampeg SVP-BSP, and a QsC mx-1500a) or a single unit like the Carvin R600, or the Ampeg B2R. I also do a noise/soundscape set so the amp would have to double for that (I do use the bass, but it is heavaly prossesed). I know you can achive greater tonal posability's with a pre - power setup, but mucho $$$.

Alex :confused:

ps. I saw someone on here using a tech 21 sans amp, as thier preamp, and a Stewart 2.1(I think) as a power amp!.. would that sound good, and can you still get the rackmount sans amp from tech 21????
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you like the sound of the SansAmp, then yes, you'll like it through a power amp. And yes, the rackmount version (called the RBI) is available.
  3. Fuzzbass

The advantage to rack rigs is their modularity and versatility. You can swap out any component you dislike, and it can be convenient to carry preamp, compressor, effects units, rack tuner, and power amp all in one rack (not all of those units are necessary; I'm just making a point). I have a lot of redundancy in my rack: if one component fails, I can patch around it and keep gigging.

But a consolidated head is often lighter, less bulky. less costly. Also, they're more of a known quantity... can be easier to compare/contrast amp heads than custom rack rigs.

Deciding between rack or head is a personal decision. For gigging I use my rack rig, but for rehearsal I often use an Ampeg SVT3Pro because it has less weight and bulk.
  4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    do you have thier website?.. and thanks man - ya I like the bassdriver, I love overdrivin bass and that has a good sound. Plus I like the eq, its very respindant... do you know how much the RBI is?..

5. Seperates is the way to go. I've had both the Carvin 600 head and the Ampeg B2R, and while both were good units, both fell short of what I was looking for. I was using an Ampeg BSP with a QSC power amp but recently opted to go with the BOSS GT6B floor unit as my preamp. Absolutely an awesome pedalboard/preamp! You should check one out!
  6. Fuzzbass

7. seperate's not nececarily more costly. I have a rack setup cause it's cheaper.