1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using a preamp/power amp combo with high grade built in bass pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThatLowEnd, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I have a Benevente Lowend OM 5 with a great preamp. I currently run a sansamp rbi into a qsc plx1804. Any reason not to run my bass straight into the qsc and let the bass preamp mold my tone?

2. Signal level out of the bass will not be enough to drive a power amp. You'll still need some sort of pre-amp even if it's just an ART unit.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Does the combo have a "preamp out" or "effects send" jack?

Try that. May still need a TubeMP or other signal booster to gain it up enough to properly drive that poweramp, depending on the output of the pre and the power's input sensitivity.

4. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I do have a zoom b3 which i could use between my bass and poweramp. Would this be a better route than using my zoom b3 for effects only and my genz benz shuttlemax 9.2?

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Whichever sounds better.

Point is, you'll need something between the bass and poweramp to boost the signal up strong enough to properly "drive" the poweramp.