Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using a ProCo RAT with my bassman 135?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The 0x, Feb 25, 2004.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have heard that the RAT sounds very good for bass, except it drains alot of low end. Well I have an idea, and wanted to know if this would work. I have an all tube Fender Bassman 135, with 2 nonfootswitchable channels (bass and normal), with two inputs on each. The #1 inputs have more gain than the #2 inputs. For some reason, the normal channel has better tone and more bass than the bass channel. :confused: :meh:

[​IMG]

Could I plug my bass into Input 1 of the normal channel, hook an instrument cable from input 2 into the input of the RAT, and hook another cable from the output of the RAT into Input 1 on the bass channel? Would this give me a good overdrive without sacrificing bottom, since the dry signal would be going into the normal channel, which has tons of bottom, and the RAT would be going into the bass channel, which actually has less bottom? :confused: Have I lost you yet? :help:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like you're trying to use one input, then another input to send a signal to your RAT, back into a third input. In that case it won't work. An A/B or ABY switch is your best bet, split the signal, run one straight into channel one, the other run dirty through the RAT into input two. That should do the trick, and you get to blend a bit that way.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Why wouldn't it work? I'm currently linking the channels the same exact way, minus the RAT, and it works fine. Should I try it out with my guitarist's boss pedal just to see if it'd work or not? :confused: