Using a radio shack power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Growler, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. Growler


    Sep 26, 2004
    Can I use a radio shack 9V power supply for my pedal (fulltone bassdrive?), or do I have to buy one specific for pedals? The RS ones come with a range of tips and I can set the polarity...
  2. IcedEarthWOM


    Oct 2, 2005
    You should be able to as long as the adapter supplies enough milliAmps for the pedal (which shouldn't be a problem)
  3. seanm

    seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

    Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you plug it in and don't get a hum, you should be good. The Fulltone Bassdrive can be run at higher voltages (18V according to the web site) so you won't hurt it as long as you get the polarity right.

    The problem will more likely be hum from an unregulated or badly regulated supply or hum from a switching supply running at too low a frequency.
  4. bongomania

    bongomania Commercial User

    Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Radio Shack power supplies are notoriously prone to line noise, and they are also more susceptible to hum. You want a "regulated" power supply which will have lower noise. The Boss ones are regulated, and you can also "borrow" regulated ones off of other home electronics.
  5. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It'll work, make sure you have the polarity right. I've got one powering a midi controller I just built with no problems so far.
  6. Since midi is just sending midi signals and not dealing with the audio signal, noise won't be an issue. It may be a problem with other pedals though. The Danelectro zero-hum adapters work great and they're a fraction of the cost of Boss.

    On the subject, anyone know of a zero-hum 12volt DC adapter? I need one for my chorus.

Share This Page