Using a single amp (Rumble Studio 40) for bass + guitar, possible with ABY, preamp, ...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Estropijo, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Estropijo

Estropijo

Apr 26, 2020
    Hi everyone,

I currently have a Rumble Studio 40 and now we are getting a guitar at home. I think the Studio shares some of the simulated amps and effects with the guitar version, so I am hoping that it is enough to play around with the guitar (no plans of doing anything more serious than that!), mostly to save space...

However, I would like to play bass+guitar together with my girlfriend from time to time and I wonder if there is a way to to use the amp for both instruments at the same time. I have thought of a couple of options:

1) A cheap passive ABY switch like this (also useful for looping with both instruments using the A/B). I would just connect both instruments to the amp... and play with no effects, using the instrument's volume knobs to adjust as needed. Any issues with this?

2) Buy the same ABY and a preamp for the guitar (probably the Zoom G1 Four). Then connect the guitar and preamp via the effects loop:

Bass ---> Rumble ---> FX Loop Out ----> | ABY |---> FX Loop In
    Guitar---------> ZoomG1Four -----------> | ABY |

This allows me to use different amp/effects on each of them. Would this work?

3) Forget about this, and just buy a cheap and small amplifier for the guitar, something like the Yamaha THR5.

I am 100% unsure if these options would work, so any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Buy the Yamaha.
    They are stellar for the size.
    Another consideration is the Boss Katana 50. Not much more money but more fun and more versatile.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Estropijo likes this.
  3. Estropijo

Estropijo

Apr 26, 2020
    Something like the Boss Katana is definitely not an option right now (just because of the space!). The Yamaha could work... do you recommend it because the options above would not work as I expect?

I am actually thinking that option 2) could be simplified by just plugging the Zoom (or similar amp simulator) directly into the AUX input of the Studio, not needing the effects loop or the ABY pedal.

Similarly... I guess I could use a pair of powered speakers (Klipsch Fives), keeping the Rumble for the bass and the speakers for the guitar, but those are in a different room, so it would be great to make it work only with the Rumble.

4. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    Seems to me plugging into the AUX in ought to get you where you want to go pretty easily. And an added bonus of the Studio 40 is that you download Mustang presets onto it.

Estropijo likes this.
  5. The aux in from the Zoom will work but I recommend the Yamaha because the THR line are excellent amps. They just sound great, IMO the best lunchbox amp out there by far and built like a tank.
    You’re lucky, your GF plays electric guitar. Don’t be a fool.
    Buy her an amp. :)

Estropijo likes this.
  6. Estropijo

Estropijo

Apr 26, 2020
    Actually, that was the original plan... but as soon as she tried out the bass she liked it more than the guitar, so I’ll probably be the the one playing guitar!

Thanks for the help and recommendations, I’ll buy the zoom for now and keep the Yamaha in mind for the future. Worst case scenario, the zoom can still be used to play around with effects, drums machine etc!

Roland GR 88 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022