1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using a Synth instead of a real bass, anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ibanezzer, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Long story short...I had surgery on my left shoulder recently. Been in a sling for roughly 6 weeks now, and just got a straght answer from my doctor on how long till I can play again--he said most likely several months! (I tore a shoulder muscle). So luckily the current music projects i'm working with still all want me to play with them even after this long hiatus and I've itching to play again too. I've got a synth already and have been working up on moving to it for my bass playing roles within two rock bands (not gigging yet, earliest may be two months on one project). W/ playing on synth it seems that I may need to take a different approach as I'm used to doing a lot of tapping, hamerons, and chords. W// synth (bass voice) it seems to only sound good with one note at a time and simplier playing. any words of advice on how i should approach the transition? One project has a keyboard player already so I'm trying to remain in the bassist role here. I have a yamaha full size synth but just picked up an alesis micron for portability reasons (also can't do any heavy lifting for quite some time).

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Check Janek G's forum on here. There was at least 1 thread where he talks about synth bass playing. Also-do a search in "Basses" BG side, IIRC, there was quite a lengthy thread. I remember the thread b/c i was subscribed, but i forget if it was in Misc or basses.

take it easy.

3. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    thanks i'll check that out.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Def Leppard!:p