Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using a thumb pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jul 21, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    ala Dominique Di Piazza. I figure I'd give it a try and found a $0.50 dunlop tort thumbpick and the new music store in the mall today. I should have gotten a larger size cause this one cuts my circulation...

It feels pretty awkward and I think it'll take awhile to get used to the up/down picking although I have it down pretty well with my naked thumb. I can get some really nice tones and stuff with it though, like scratchy tones that sound good with Minor Swing... I'll pick up a larger size tomorrow and try to get used to it. Does anyone else use this technique?

I'm trying to put it together with the Garrison technique, except I don't know if I should pluck Thumb - ring(3) - Mid(20 - iNDEX(1) or T-1-2-3... When I play traditional I follow a 3-2-1 pattern but it feels a bit awkward with this technique. I'm going to read the big thread on the garrison technique now...

2. Have U tried the stainless steel ones, I bought one and cant get used to it but there a good idea for people who either sing w/ the bass or always drops the picks

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The one i had seems to have stretched a little and doesn't make my thumb blue. The only steel ones I saw weren't sideways picks they were like thumb tip picks.

I worked on the technique a bit more today and I'm most comfortable using T-1-2-3-2-1 or T-3-2-1-T-3-2-1... it's still more natural without the pick.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've been playing with a thumbpick for almost a year (inspired by Dominique). I also use the large Dunlop tortoiseshell picks - they loosen up the more you wear them.

I generally use a T-1 plucking pattern, or T-1-2 if I am playing quick triplets or chords.

5. I've never seem a metal pick that lets you do upstrokes. You can get ones with the picking part on the side, but they seem to have funny curved edges that don't sound good with upstrokes.

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Read this too. It's an interview where Garrison gives some description on how he does this technique.

http://www.instituteofbass.com/archive/artist_profiles/2004/matt_garrison/

Joe