1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Using a wristband as a wireless transmitter holder for strap

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mattattack187, May 3, 2018.

1. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I've seen people such as Robert Trujillo, DJ Ashba and others with their wireless transmitter attached to their straps with a wristband. I have a Line 6 G50 transmitter and would rather not shell out cash for a Neotech Pouch or something similar. I have an Under Armor wristband laying around somewhere. Was thinking of just using belt clipping the transmitter to my Dimarzio Cliplock strap and then slide the wristband over it to cover it. Does anyone else use this method? I still may gaffer tape the clip to the strap for extra protection as well.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Heck, I use a couple of those velcro-like cable ties wrapped thru and across the top "holes" on my strap, structured to let my wireless pack clip slide over them.
    Cost? < $0.10

walterw, EdO. and mattattack187 like this.
  3. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Give it a try; that and the stock clip should be fine.

Remember that the Neotech's are only $14, so at some point, it really is a cheap, secure option.

4. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    The wristband actually works well. I still gaffer taped the back of the clip to the strap for a little extra protection.

5. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    i use an old cellphone holder, the cheesy beltclip kind, perfect fit, just cut access for the cord/jack

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. Wristband should be fine. I use 2 elastic ponytail bands I got from the women’s hair aisle. Durable, cheap, and come in assorted colors. The advantage is that I can easily access the buttons/switch as needed.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the one thing the G50 had that the newer G70 lacks is that awesome thick metal clip which can be removed and re-oriented; undo the screw in the middle, turn it 90° and bolt it back down, now your beltpack on the strap will aim the cable straight down instead of out sideways.

no pouch needed.

rugrat likes this.
  8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    exactly what i did with my G75 beltpack!

love the thing except it has that damn thin wire clip that can't be re-oriented, meaning that clipped to my strap it pokes the cable out sideways.

a couple of those velcro cable ties on my strap serve to let me slide the pack's clip through them straight down so the wireless cable feeds down instead of out sideways, also allowing me to pop open the pack for battery changes without removing it from the strap.

s0c9 likes this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I had to flip-the-clip on my Senn D1 xmitter to make it slide over the velcro and have the connection cable point down the strap to my bass :)
    At least Senn beltpacks let you do that..

FWIW - I keep my IEM receiver clipped onto my back jeans pocket.. and rotated THAT clip to point the cable DOWN from the receiver, so it loops down then up my back to my A8 buds. If I DON'T run it inverted like that, then there's tension/stress of the IEM jack where the cable attaches. It's a custom built shielded (sheathed?) cable with a STRAIGHT 1/8" connector versus the right-angle that many factory models arrive with. I've had it for 2 yrs now.. Prior to buying it ($85?) I had run thru THREE factory cables with right angle jacks and THIN cable wire. Those cables ALL wore out where the molded plastic right-angle jack connected with the cable.

10. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    so both systems are senn?

it seems odd that they would have come set up the other way in the first place. both my G75 guitar pack and my PSM700 ear pack have the thin wire clip and only allow for the cable to point down when clipped to a belt.

(fine for the IEM but again annoying on the guitar wireless, sideways mounting makes so much more sense there. with a sideways clip, if you have just one instrument that night it clips to the strap with the cable pointed down towards the output jack, while if you have more than one and are unplugging to quickly switch like i do on guitar, you can put the pack on your belt and the cable faces forward, again towards the guitar's jack.)

11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Billy G uses tobacco cans.

Renaissance likes this.
  12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    yeah.. BOTH are Senn, and both have batteries on one end and antenna's and jacks on the other.
    On both of mine, the jacks and antennae point down - one down my bass strap toward the output jack on the bass, the other (IEM) on my jeans pocket with iem cable and antenna pointing to the floor.
    BOTH Senn paks have reversible clips to allow mounting in either direction. I believe they are factory shipped with the clips in the other direction.

upload_2018-5-23_22-36-49.png

Black lines are strap edge.. double horizontal lines are velcro.. red line is cable to bass.
    upload_2018-5-23_22-39-8.png

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    can they both use that same li-ion battery replacement module?

14. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    SAdly no.. the G3 IEM uses AA's (the D1 - bottom pic - can also as the Li's are extra $) and requires a charging station to charge the BA2015 battery.
    About $300 for both.. AA's are a LOT cheaper..

The D1 use the BA3 (?) battery. - I have 2 that I cycle.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021