1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using ABY box to bypass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ansonsti, May 27, 2017.

1. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    I have been running into the tap dancing problem lately at gigs. I stack effects to get to an epic tone and at some point I need to snap back to reality and play clean bass. The reason I'm asking this question here is that frankly, I don't feel like being a critical thinker.

I have a Big Shot ABY box that I had been using to run 2 bass amps in dual mono, but I've been getting by with just the one. I know that they can also be used to play 2 instruments through one amp.

Would it be possible to use it like a loop switcher pedal on my board? I'd run say, all pedals down stream of my compression/tuner in the A side and have everything else looped into the B (I know this is off but it's the direction my brain is going).

Basically so that when I get to that epic moment of tension and I have one bar to get back to something super clean I could just like tap A/B/Y mode (depending on the solution to this question) to act like a bypass. At that point I could also use it to have all 5 or so pedals on as a tone stack to add emphasis on the other side, for dropping back into the wildness.

I feel like I could probably get my head around this pretty easily, but I'm having a bit of a mental block and haven't felt like doing any pedal Board electrical engineering lately.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Probably there are any number of small switch and/or loop boxes that will do well what you have in mind. Lehle alone must have several models that cover that ground.

I use a One Control Tri Loop in a 'drive_1 OR drive_2 OR clean' setup, but it can be configured for any of several switching or routing modes (the Tri Loop user manual, in which its modes are described).

In the mode I use ("white mode"), you would tap the R footswitch to toggle between 1. whichever loop was selected and 2. clean. Couldn't be easier. :D

The Tri Loop has a buffer that, depending on the mode in use, can be enabled or disabled per loop or altogether. Currently I plan to start using an old style fuzz pedal in the first loop, so I will defeat the buffer in that loop to accommodate that pedal. But the buffer will be on in the second loop, after the fuzz, so it will drive the rest of the pedalboard on out to the amp. It's quite a little toolkit this pedal.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    ansonsti likes this.
  3. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Thanks, I'll look into those. I remember comin across Lehle when I was on the search for an ABY. I'm trying to get away without buying any more gear but I don't imagine those things are terribly expensive.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

You need an effects loop, not an ABY, unless you plug your bass into the Y jack, then FX after A and B, then you need a second ABY at the other end. FX then go into A and B, signal out of Y. Then you've got to stomp two buttons. This will not work for you. ABY is the wrong box for you.

Lookup "true bypass looper".

A Boss LS2 could also work the way you want it to.

5. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Depending on space you can get a single or double passive bypass looper, they are simple and cheep, power just for the light telling you if it's engaged. Lots of people make them, even small builders. With a double you can break down your effects into 2 or 3 groups (one being the non looper pedals like compressor or perfect bypass) I use a double looper in front of my Digitech RPS 8000 delay sampler or Hotone looper as they both use preamps that control overall volume...a no no for a clean un-noisy line.

6. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Emptycell is 3/4 right. You DO need 2 ABY switches to do something like this. But you just set up the first one to always be sending to A AND B. Put all your effects on A OR B. Then the downstream switch toggles between the empty line and the effects line.

You could get away without the 1st switch if you have a pedal with a direct out.

But I doubt a loop pedal would be that much more than a 2nd ABY switch to add to the one you have and is definitely a more elegant solution.