1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using ampeg svt 3 pro into a mixer for live shows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spacerust, Jan 7, 2012.

1. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    If i want the sound I get through the svt using its direct out do I still need to have speakers plugged into it with the 4 ohm minimum load? Just wondering if I could lighten the carry load.

2. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmmmm. That depends on the sound system, and whether you trust your PA guys. If you give a direct feed and use a monitor to hear yourself, you are then counting on the sound guys to make you sound the way you want. Regardless of the feed you give them, they will shape your tone to what THEY like. On stage, you will never know what you sound like to the audience.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Allow me to translate:

:D

Yes, you can run the head into a PA without a cab, but it may sound crappy to you to run without a cab. Then again, it may not.

4. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    Well im just asking cuz I just got the head and am still looking for a cab to match. Right now im using a fender rumble and line out to mixer and using that as a monitor. But I figured id like to use the head to get a better overall tone and just enough through the monitor just to keep me in with everyone till I get a cab which should be in the next week or so but I have at two gigs this week.

5. Use the DI post EQ to the board and the effects send (from the Ampeg) to the effects return (if it has one) on the Rumble. That way the Rumble will be your monitor with the same sound as the sound man is getting (without any coloring from the Rumbles preamp).

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    At the very least I'd bring the Rumble along just in case you don't like what's happening without using a cab. A lot of monitor systems don't sound too good with bass.

7. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    Well we dont have a sound guy...im one and the same. Im learning about how to do the sound for our band since the pa is mine as well.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    In that case I'd either do what B-String 2 suggested or just use the Rumble till you get a cab for the 3 Pro.

9. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    or get a speaker simulator :)