Using amps at home.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Disco_Dave, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Disco_Dave

Feb 22, 2002
    Is it practical to use a 100 or 200 watt combo for practicing at home and not get arrested for noise pollution? I'm upgrading and if I could sell my practice amp I could afford a slightly better upgrade

Obviously you can turn it right down, I just wondered whether that would still work effectively.

Hope somebody will be able to help.
  2. I use a 700watt amplifier through a 4x10, so don't see any problem with 100-200watts
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's all in the volume knob, no? :)

You could also place the combo on a chair or something like a thick folded blanket to decouple it from the floor, especially if you live in an apartment. Bass frequencies tend to travel well in floors (someone else's ceiling...).
  4. Disco_Dave

Feb 22, 2002
    Luckily i live in a semi detached house, albeit a small one, and have already taken some sound proofing measures on the wall that adjoins the other house.

I suppose the only problem is that not all amps sound good on low volumes. Though thats not really a huge problem for when i'm practicing, just so long as it sounds good when using it properly.

I wish I had more money to spend. I splashed it all on a new P Bass earlier this year and recently we booted out one of our guitarists, and though we don't miss him I do miss his bass amp which I used to use. At the moment I have a very rattly epiphone 10 watt amp.....and we have gigs coming up...
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I use my SWR WM2004 at home. But in my case, the neighbors have to room to complain about noise, cause thier stereo is always so loud, we get thier bass from across the street!