1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

using an a/b switch with 2 channel EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Jun 20, 2014.

1. so as a means to accommodate different basses with different pickup placements and outputs, as well as adjust for 2 different tunings, im thinking of using a 2 channel rack EQ. one for each bass. my plan is to just switch between them when i switch basses. then the outputs of the EQ's feed into the head, likely with a Y cable.

would the channel of the EQ that is not in use, bypassed by the a/b, introduce some noise to the signal? or would no input just be silent?

thanks

2. You need a mixer of some description, not a Y.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Lots of rack eq's have a bypass feature built in. You could just enable the eq you want.

There are also programmable graphics.

If you don't have to use a rack, there are some great choices! The Radial Bassbone gives you some eq control over a 2 instrument setup. The Source Audio Programmable Eq would also work wonderfully for this.

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    Why not use something smaller, like the Source Audio Programmable EQ or a BOSS EQ-20 (out-of-production, so look on the used-market)?

5. NOT the older Bassbone, but the newer Bassbone, ie "Bassbone OD".
    Two channels, independent gain & EQ for each channel.
    Problem solved. [/thread]

6. i looked into the source audio, and while it is a great unit, it doesnt have the control that is necessary. the frequencies are too far apart and very not useful. adjusting between an OLP MM and an L2K, also working with different tunings, i need a lot of detail in the high bass and lower mids.

the SA EQ is at 62 - 125 - 250 - 500 - 1k - 2k - 4k

whereas a rack EQ is more like 20 - 40 - 63 - 100 - 150 - 250 - 400 - etc

i dont feel like i would get the sort of sculpting capabilities i need. similarly with the boss eq-20.

7. You can buy an A/B pedal for $40, and still need a mixer... you can buy a boss LS-2 for about $100 and it will accomplish what you need with your EQ...
    OR ....
    you can buy a zoom MS-60B for $100 and it will give you programmable EQ + a WHOLE LOT more.

8. so the other EQ channel that is not being used WILL introduce noise? or will there be some other signal issue?

and at the rate of using an ls-2, wouldn't i just want to put each EQ in a loop and switch between them? skip the a/b box

9. The EQ-20 only has 1 input so he wouldn't be able to run 2 basses through it. He'd still need an A/B channel switcher.

He could run the A/B box ahead of the EQ-20 and set the 2 EQ profiles up to have 1 for each bass. 2 pedal stomps to switch between the 2 basses. I've though about setting up a board that way. Might be too cumbersome for some people.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  10. maybe i mislead you guys. fully intend to use the a/b to switch between the 2 rack units, not between basses.

11. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    In their pretty sales image they show an electric and an upright, but are there any demos showing two basses being blended or switched between? I've spent $300 on two different mixing boxes so far and nothing I've bought has fit my needs. The Morley I got has mixer volumes but I can't mute a bass with a stomp and the one a friend made for me is far too noisy.

12. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    The Providence seems tailor made for this (I haven't actually used one, though):

http://www.providence-ltd.com/products/effector/dbs1.html

dbs1_det1_thumb.

To the op: do you really need a 1/3 octave graphic like a rack eq? I know you seem dead set on such a tool, but frankly, so many eq bands are more often than not a recipe for phase problems, over-eq and bad on-the-gig usability. A simpler, broader q is honestly most likely more practical to equalise between 2 instruments & easier to use!

1/3 octave rack eq's are a necessary tool for mix engineers more to control feedback nodes & correct for room anomalies - not really for sculpting 'tone'.

13. Bass1 plus EQ1
    Switch
    Bass2 plus EQ2

Right?

I don't think you can do that with just ls2, could be wrong. Not unless you can plug the basses direct into the EQ units, unlikely for a rack unit.

That being the case, basses go into A/B unit, goes into ls2 input, Channel A & B loops go to respective EQ channels.
    Ls2 output goes to amp.

14. would there be a level issue going straight into the EQ? that was the plan. get both basses as equal and clean as possible, then process further.

15. That, and most rack gear doesn't have correct impedance to load up the pickups, it's expecting a line signal from another rack unit. No harm in testing it out.

16. Ahh. Ok. That does change my perspective. Reminds me of a strange routing scheme someone had in one of Premier Guitar's rig-rundowns. [*goes off to think about a solution and to try to find the rig-rundown...]

Not sure if there's a demo video, but really don't understand the need. Mute by switching channels: Playing bass guitar and needing to switch to upright, I'd simply roll the slab's volume all the way off, put it in its stand and pick up the upright and then stomp on the A/B switch to activate the doublebass with volumes on both channels of the [insert dual channel switcher/pre-amp of choice here] maintained at whatever level was set at soundcheck (tweak volume if necessary). Back to slab, click the A/B switch again to mute the upright and even though the BG channel is active, its volume is nulled at the BG itself until I roll the volume up. <- That's me though, if I were to double.

I don't know what your needs are. Curious, though...

17. You missed his need to switch EQ channels with a rack EQ.

18. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
  19. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    That's about right except I play slab and EUB on the same song, so I can't put anything down. On top of everything else I'm bowing on the EUB so my hands are a bit full. My EUB also doesn't have a volume control, so right now while I'm playing the guitar the upright piezo pickup starts humming really loudly with sympathetic vibration.

Like I said my current A/B boxes have failed. The Morley I got has the volume controls that I can set in advance, but it turned out that hitting the A/B switch only mutes OUTPUT channel A or B and I need one that mutes input channels. The Bassbone OD seems built for my needs with that piezo switch so the only question now is how transparent the sound is.

20. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    That Providence looks like it would be great if it could do A/B/blend instead of either/or. Also, it's the same price as the Bassbone OD practically.