Using an amp as preamp with stereo power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magneto, Mar 2, 2006.

1. This is something that I've been looking into, but I've never tried it.
    Have any of you tried running an underpowered bass amp as a preamp using lineout or DI to a power amp?
    If so, how did it work out for you? Did you run it from the lineout or DI?
    What problems did you encounter? Was the output from head to power amp ok, weak, or hot?

I was considering trying this with my Behringer BX3000T head into a stronger power amp. I'm a bit underpowered with the Behringer, and at this time I don't really want to go out and spend a chunk of money on a new bass amp head.
    I like the options of being able to run different cabs with the power amp, and I think this config would work, but I need advice...

Thanks for your advice..

2. I did this with an Ampeg B2r head into a QSC USA900 power amp for a while. I used pre-out (line out?) into the power amp. It worked fine but there were 2 issues. The head didn't power the amp fully (but it was loud enough). It was also one seriously HEAVY rack. It worked for me for a while until I could get a dedicated preamp.
  3. ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    I used to use an SWR Baby Blue head as the preamp and used a Crown power amp. Worked fine for the time.
  4. ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Sorry didn't answer the question. I ran it from the line out. Used the DI from the preamp to the board. It got to be a pain to carry everything and set it up.
  5. Thanks alot for the helpful replies.
    Using this type of configuration would be versatile, especially considering that a person could get a powerful p-amp cheaper than a powerful bass amp head.
    Frankly, my Behringer BX3000T is underpowered for my 2x15 cabinet. I'm sure it would be more powerful if I ran it with all the bells and whistles turned on (bright, deep, etc..), but with my cab, I have to turn down the bass and mid-bass quite a bit, and of course one loses alot of wattage this way.
    I can't afford a preamp/amp setup.. period.. I've been droolin' over a GK 1001 RBII, but still not something I can afford at the moment.
    Surprisingly, I've had alot of success with the Behringer head/homemade cab setup, but I need more headroom.

Has anyone ever run lineout to a poweramp while still using the first amp's power to run another cab? I think it would be cool if I could run (let's say) a 2x10 cab from the Behringer amp's speaker out, while running lineout to a power amp to power the larger cabinet...

6. I originally bought my power amp with the intention of running one cab with it and one cab with my head. This can be done BUT it doesn't take long to figure out that the power amp will easily overpower the head. You will get louder (or more headroom) if you run both cabs from the more capable poweramp.