1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using an amp for DI-only home studio work

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pravus, May 2, 2015.

1. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Broomfield, CO
    Just curious if there is anything that I would need to know in order to use an amp as DI-only for home studio recording. I've amassed a small collection of amps that I have connected through a mixer and an audio interface for recording. I live in a small apartment so mic'ing cabs isn't really an option although I may play around with it at some point.

One thing that got me concerned was I read that if an amp isn't connected to a speaker load you might blow out its output transformer. Since I run DI-only I haven't been connecting any of my cabs as I play. I'm wondering if this will eventually cause problems. I also wonder what other information I may be missing. Anything I should worry about or is it really just as easy as plug and play?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Solid state is fine without a cab. Tube amps are not. The only exception for SS amps is the Warwick Hellborg power amp and a couple ancient McIntosh amps.

pravus and Jim Carr like this.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have used a Mesa M9 in the studio with no speakers. Great big booty!

pravus likes this.
  4. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Broomfield, CO
    Just to be specific, are you talking about the power amp section being tubes? For example I have a Genz Benz GBE1200 with both a FET and tube pre-amp section but the power section is non-tube. And my SVP-Pro should be designed for this type of thing even though it's a tube preamp, right? I don't think I have anything with an actual tube power section.

5. Yes only amps with a tube output section (with one obscure exception) and the Hellborg SS. Tube preamp is fine.

pravus likes this.
  6. Jhclark

Jhclark

Jul 13, 2014
    Philadelphia
    If I plug in my new yorkville BassMaster 800 without a speaker and blow it up, I'm coming back here to bitch ;)

pravus likes this.