Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using an amp not intended for guitar use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paintandsk8, May 14, 2003.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Ok here is my question, I have a 500 watt pioneer tube amp and matching preamp from the late 70's early 80's,it is intended for use with a home stereo system, can I use it in combination with a speaker cabinet to amplify my bass?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can try.
    Make sure to check impedance before doing anything.
    Home stereo usually doesn't like going under 8 ohms.

3. Ok, yes you can use it with the proper speaker cabinet for a bass amp or guitar amp, but it probably won't sound too good. Also, it'd be a shame to use that old Pioneer tube amp for a bass amp when it would work much better as a nice stereo amp.

And it ain't 500 Watts. That's probably how much power it pulls from the wall. The output is probably no more than 40 Watts per channel.

Sell it to me and buy a proper bass amp. :D

Chris

4. You'd need 2x8 ohm cabs. Connect one to each speaker output. Make sure you have an 8 ohm cabinet connect to both speaker outputs. If it is all in working order, you might consider putting it up for sale on ebay. Their are audiophiles who would die for such a rig in good working order. I have a friend who sold an old Luxman tube amp not too long ago for several grand!.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The amp is switchable between 4 and 8 ohms and yes it is 500 watts, 250 per channel. I will probly not use it for my bass, except maybe a little experimentation. And as far as selling it, no way.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Sorry,
    But there is NO WAY that it's 500 watts (RMS anyway) if it's a tube amp - period.

7. Can you tell me what kind of tubes it uses, and how many of them? Like 6L6GC, EL34, 7591, etc.?

Chris

8. Man, 250 per channel and tube.:eek: I'd sure like to see a picture of it, any chance of that?:D