1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using an amp to play a cd.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kügel, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Kügel

Kügel

Nov 2, 2006
    Belgium
    Hi TB,

Today I bought some headphones to play my bass without bothering anyone and I was wondering. Would it be possible to play a cd with my amp, and then playing bass with the cd through the headphones?

This question might be phrased a bit difficult but I'm sure I'm getting my point across.

Thanks.

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I have an Ampeg BA-110 (a little 30-watt practice amp) which has a headphone jack, plus stereo RCA plug inputs so that you can plug the output of a CD player into it, and then use headphones to listen to your bass mixed with the CD.
    I've never used it, personally, but it can do it.
    I believe there are other amps on the market with this capability.
    Usually, I listen to music through headphones and simultaneously hear the bass either: 1) acoustically (with my chin resting on the bass) or 2) through an amp at low level.

3. Not sure what you're trying to do -
    Put your CD player through your amp and play along with it?
    - I do that with my SWR SR all the time - just not loudly.
    Put your CD component (eg, not a stand alone unit) player through your amp, then turn off your speakers and jack your headphones in? (Guessing your CD player is a component unit with no onboard amplifier?)
    - Dont' see why that wouldn't work with a solid state amplifier...don't try it with an all tube unit though!

Or you can just give up, take advantage of the online sales at MF or M123 and get a Tascam CD bass trainer http://www.music123.com/TASCAM-CD-BT2-Portable-CD-Bass-Trainer-242038-i1328195.Music123, which has a headphone jack (and a line out if you want to put it through your amp). $126.

4. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    It depends on your amp i guess, my cheap little marshall practice amp has input for cd player , and i can play along with cds (well if i could play better i could) thru the headphones. It also has a line out.... besides the headphones so i guess technically i could send it to a pa as well.

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    If you have an Effects Return, you can plug your player into that.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It'll most likely be MONO, but the bass will kick hard!

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    My previous Eden's had a headphone out AND Aux In/Outs, so I could do it sans cabinet.

Now with my AG500, I just plug the CD player/iPod into my Effects Return and practice live.

8. Kügel

Kügel

Nov 2, 2006
    Belgium
    Ah, thanks for the replies!

I'm going to look into it next morning, bit tired now.

9. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Assuming your amp is the Roland Cube 100 in your profile...... apparently there is no CD or AUX inputs for that amp, just the one input for your bass, so you would need some kind of mixer to mix your CD and bass signals together prior to the one input of the amp.

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ...remembering to keep the mixer output volume low going into the cube as not to overload the input preamp...:bag:

11. breedz

breedz

May 27, 2006
    San Antonio, TX