Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using an Eden WT-500 as a preamp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've just began working with some guys that play really loud so I've found that my WT-500 just can't cut it.

Has anyone used an Eden head as a preamp? Coupling the preamp portion with a Stewart or a Carver power amp. If so how did you do that or better yet, how would I do that?

2. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I'll let someone else answer the technical question. I just want to say that the probable reason why the WT500 does not seem loud enough is because your band mates are playing WAY TOO LOUD. We have to protect our ears. Get everyone to tone down the volume.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the reminder, Phil. We were practicing in a fairly big auto shop. It just seemed to suck all the low tones away. But I also think that it was because I was using my two Eden cabs in stereo. The minimum load bridged, for the amp, is 8 ohms and when I run the 210xlt and the 15, I'm only getting about 180 watts into each of the 8 ohm cabs. Not a lot of watts going on there.

My thoughts are keeping the Wt-500 and using the DI out to go to the power amp. Is this do-able? The owners manual for the Eden is really sparse but I think that it's saying that the DI out is after the tone controls.

Would this be the way to go? Then I can just keep my regular head for more reasonable volumes. I'm also thinking that I can DI to the power amp and run my regular outputs to another speaker cab for super flexibility.