1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using an EQ pedal to boost tapping and slapping sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I play in an extreme metal band called Machiavellian. These days I play a Dean Edge passive six string bass, and use a SWR Goliath II 4x10" cab, tech 21 sansamp rbi preamp, and a power amp. When playing with the band I've got a tone and sound I am very happy with that blends with the music and I can cut through enough to be heard but not be too overbaring on the sound.

Of late however I've started to realise that my tapping and slapping fills get pretty lost in the mix live - even in passages that are just a one bar fill for the bass and drums without the guitars playing. As a result I've been thinking - would an additional EQ do the trick to help me?

I was thinking if I had either a Boss bass EQ pedal set to boost the high end and set it on when I have a fill, will it help it cut through more? I've also considered buying an Aguilar obp1 active preamp to fit inside my bass - in which case if I have the controls set flat and then boost the treble nob for my slapping or tapping....will this help me cut through the mix more?

Heres my band anyway if you want an idea of what some of my tapping passages are like: www.myspace.com/mcvln

:bassist:

2. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I own and love the Boss GEB7 bass graphic eq pedal. It is very very quiet and the controls are well chosen for the most part. For the price it is a steal IMHO

You could always just use it as a volume boost by the way

3. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Tapping is usually a very low volume, and stepping on pedals all night can be a pain in the butt ... maybe EQ isn't really the answer.

You might want to consider some compression (to bring the volume of the tapping up) before boosting the treble a bit on your RBI, rather than EQ. This will even out your volumes some.

Also try and get your bandmates to work on the arrangements so that your delicate stuff like tapping doesn't get overpowered by, say, the drummer beating up a thunderstorm from the toms.

4. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
  5. +1 to a volume boost, Flea from the RHCP uses a MXR micro boost pedal, which is definitely preferable to having to use your hands to boost a control on your bass - coz obviously if you're playing you want your hands on the strings, right?

also maybe consider some sort of compression, as it could just level out the dynamics. Something like the BBE OPTOSTOMP, which is pretty transparent and wont F*ck with your tone.

Im on your myspace at the moment, see you guys are playing in High Wycombe soon, its pretty near to me (and i went to uni there)

im digging your playing by the way, im not much of a thrash/death fan (lol i've got Master of Puppets, but thats about as far into thrash as i go) but i appreciated some tasty licks, especially in 'Ranger'

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've been an RBI user for a few years now, and I'll add a +1 to getting some compression in there. The RBI itself does a little bit of tubey compression, (turn the blend all the way off on the RBI & watch the level meters on your power amp while you play for comparison) but it's a very subtle effect.

I'd be hesitant to take an EQ pedal and boost the highs for tapping or slap lines, which are already full of dink dink gank noises :)

c-

7. No disrespect intended, but I really doubt that the Paranormal would work well for his situation. It only offers three bands of EQ, so there's not much adjustability, and it doesn't have a master volume control.

I would think that the GEB-7 would work pretty well. The MXR 6-band EQ is about the same price. A basic boost pedal like the MXR Micro Amp or the EHX LPB-1 would work as well.

8. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    +1 for the MXR micro boost. I'm digging your band's music.