Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using an IOD with a power amp. Problems??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soulgroovn, Jan 6, 2003.

1. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I've had this thing for a little while and I've run it through the effects section of my Ashdown. I'm now thinking about getting a power amp to make it full rig but I think I've read some threads here that stated that the output is not strong enough to push the amp. Any truth to this and if so, any work arounds?

Thanks,

Mike

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I run my SWR IOD preamp through a Carvin DCM1500 and its fine.. its better than fine.. its great.. I doubt you will have any problems either

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It depends on the input sensitivity of the power amp and how hard you actually want to drive the amp. I believe Carvin power amps have an input sensitivity of 1 volt, which isn't particulary high, so it can be driven to clipping with a weaker input signal. If you get a QSC PLX 3402, though, it has a higher input sensitivity and you probably won't be able to drive it to max power. I can't remember exactly what the output specs of the IOD are, but bgavin has posted on this subject a lot. Do a search and you should be able to find some more info on the subject.

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The output voltage of the SWR IOD is somewhere in the order of 0.77 volts RMS... The input sensitivity of the Carvin is in the region of 0.75 volts RMS so these 2 are pretty well matched. However... some power amps have a much lower sensitivity (ie. a higher input voltage is required). Check the info sheet of any power amp you're looking at and make sure it's as close as possible to the output voltage of your pre-amp.

PS. I only know this because I'm looking into buying a pre-amp and power amp combination myself in the coming months!

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I just checked the Carvin website and it lists the input sensitivity for the DCM series amps as 1.0 Vrms @ 4 ohms.

6. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Oops... I was looking at the BASS PLAYER power amp shoot-out where they list the input sensitivity of the carvin dcm 1500 as 0.75v rms for rated 4 ohm power output.... that was a bit silly!

Either way it's still a better match than with a higher powered QSC PLX amp... the input sensitivities of the PLX range increase with each higher powered model, from 0.9v for the PLX1202 to 1.7v for the PLX3402 and that's at 4 ohm ratings... for 8 ohm power ratings the sensitivities are even higher!

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use the IOD with a carvin DCM1000 and couldn't be happier if i tried. no other bass amp i've tried has the sheer mojo this bad boy has.

and if i'm not driving my poweramp to full power, i'm kinda glad. i can splatter animals with it up half way ;)

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If you get a PLX then get it through Lord Valve at http://www.nebsnow.com/lordvalve and ask him to do the Q mod to it. I did. That way the I.O.D. can drive it to full power.

9. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    Thanks for the input everyone!