Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using an LS-2 with a Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by karter2000, Jan 12, 2006.

1. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else. I've done a search but could find anything....

I recently got a Boss LS-2, and want to use it with my Big Muff to give the clean/dirty mix thing. How do you set this up with the LS-2, as in where do you hook everything up and what setting is the LS-2 at?

Also, could I put my Boss Bass EQ in the clean loop to cut the highs?

Thanks,

Lyle

2. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Use the 'A-B Mix/Bypass' mode on the LS-2, with both channels at 12 for volume. For what you want to do:

Loop A send > EQ > Loop A return
    Loop B send > muff > Loop B return

Set the Muff for unity gain, then engage the LS-2. Get an idea of what an even blend sounds like - it's great by yourself, but you may find you lose a little impact in a band situation when you engage the LS-2 (depending on where you set the tone on the muff). You may want to try shifting the balance of volumes on the LS-2 to say 40/60 muff/clean. That, combined with judicious use of the muff's volume, should enable you to generate huge levels of fuzz without sacrificing your bass tone.

One thing that helps is to have a level meter of some description, be it on a preamp or in recording software etc. You just need something that will seperate your psycho-acoustic perception of events from what's actually happening when you engage the LS-2 (and all it's associated bits). When I got my Quadraverb, I was a little surprised to see that I lost nearly 6db of gain just by kicking in the LS-2 and it's muff. I've since adjusted :)

3. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Thank you for the help, that's awesome!

Lyle

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not a problem - you just asked probably the only question where I have a heap of experience to draw on :)