1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using an LS-2 with a Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by karter2000, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Hi all,

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else. I've done a search but could find anything....

I recently got a Boss LS-2, and want to use it with my Big Muff to give the clean/dirty mix thing. How do you set this up with the LS-2, as in where do you hook everything up and what setting is the LS-2 at?

Also, could I put my Boss Bass EQ in the clean loop to cut the highs?

Thanks,

Lyle

2. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Use the 'A-B Mix/Bypass' mode on the LS-2, with both channels at 12 for volume. For what you want to do:

Loop A send > EQ > Loop A return
    Loop B send > muff > Loop B return

Set the Muff for unity gain, then engage the LS-2. Get an idea of what an even blend sounds like - it's great by yourself, but you may find you lose a little impact in a band situation when you engage the LS-2 (depending on where you set the tone on the muff). You may want to try shifting the balance of volumes on the LS-2 to say 40/60 muff/clean. That, combined with judicious use of the muff's volume, should enable you to generate huge levels of fuzz without sacrificing your bass tone.

One thing that helps is to have a level meter of some description, be it on a preamp or in recording software etc. You just need something that will seperate your psycho-acoustic perception of events from what's actually happening when you engage the LS-2 (and all it's associated bits). When I got my Quadraverb, I was a little surprised to see that I lost nearly 6db of gain just by kicking in the LS-2 and it's muff. I've since adjusted :)

3. Thank you for the help, that's awesome!

Lyle

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not a problem - you just asked probably the only question where I have a heap of experience to draw on :)