1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

using and EQ pedal with an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I play fingerstyle about 65% of the time, the rest pick. I want my tone to be as close as possible so that whether I am playing pick or fingers it sounds close. I know it wont sound that close, but I would like to get the pick to sound as close to fingers as possible.

I like to add some bass and cut alot of treble when playing with a pick. I also find that when I change the eq settings/play with a pick I need to turn down the volume so that it matches the output of my fingerstyle playing.

I could just use the 405's eq but then i have to do a lot of knob twiddling. I think the easiest thing to do is just put the boss geb-7 infront of the eden and hit the footswitch when I play pick.

Two questions:

1. with the eq engaged will it change the character of the tone from the amp? This is my main concern as I dont want to lose that eden tone, just add some bass and cut the treble.

2. what is the most effective way of connecting the eq pedal? Thru the back somehow (effects loop etc) or just bass guitar > pedal > amp? I could probably figure this out on my own. Just thought it would be prudent to hear your opinions.