1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using ashdown five fifteen as cab/Reccomendations..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ERB_Luke, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ERB_Luke

ERB_Luke

Jul 4, 2008
    Hey there, i'm new here and have limited knowledge on amps.

I am currently using a Ashdown five fifteen as my main amp, however it is proving useless at gigs.
    So i'm looking to get a bigger rig, perhaps a head(maybe the GK backline 600), two 2x10's and a 1x15.
    Just wondering if I could somehow use my old ashdown as the 1x15 cab.

Also any reccomendations on 2x10's to use?

Thanks.

2. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I modded my old cube 60 so I can use it as an extension speaker.

Not sure this was necessary, but didn't want to mess up the amp section in the combo, but it works:
    I installed an extra input jack on the back. I ran the hot speaker lead from the amp to an on/off switch and then to the new jack, then wires from the jack to the speaker. If I want to use the combo normally I leave the switch on. If I want to use it as an ext. speaker I turn the switch off so no signal goes to the amp, only the speaker and plug in to the new jack.
    It also worked by plugging in directly to the ext. speaker out on the amp, but I didn't want to chance damaging the amplifier section by running a signal in.

You can also just pull out the amp from the cab, and install a jack (if it doesn't leave a hole). The disadvantage of this is obvious unless you really don't like the combo. The advantage is less weight.

3. ERB_Luke

ERB_Luke

Jul 4, 2008
    Hey thanks for replying, have you got any pictures of this setup?

4. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    PM sent

5. the 515 tends to have a very small enclosure for the speaker, and "ports" that would be tuning the enclosure too high. you could risk blowing the speaker, but you havent yet.

it can work, but i wouldnt feed it too much lows.

6. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i would say just leave the ashdown 515 as a practice amp or jam section stuff. And just get a rig for your gig to save all the hassle

7. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    Have you tried an extension cab with it? I read that all of Ashdown's practice amps have extension speaker outputs. It seems kind of pointless, I'm wondering if it makes a difference.

8. I did it with my behringer 120 watt 12" combo. took the head out of the cab, and when I dont need much volume, just take my marshall head and behringer cab. Doesn't sound very nice though.