1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using Awowo Live Drums as a midi controller...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ephminus, May 1, 2009.

1. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I'm looking into getting a midi controller for the midi drums that I use in Reaper.
    Playing my PC keyboard is pretty sloppy and annoying.

I'm thinking about ordering the Awowo Live Drums and then try using a USB to midi coverter cable to trigger the midi in Reaper.
    My PC doesn't have a midi input and I heard that you can use a converter cable instead of installing a midi card.

I'm very new to this whole midi thing.
    Anyone have experience with this?

Here's a couple links to the products I'm interested in....

Awowo Live Drums
    http://www.awowo.com/live-drums-anytime-anywhere.html

USB to Midi Converter
    http://www.uxcell.com/usb-midi-cable-converter-connect-for-windows-vista-mac-p-12257.html

Any help would be appreciated!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The Awowo looks fun for sure. I don't know how well it works.

Consider changing your keyboard midi map to what Larry Seyer came up with
    http://www.larryseyerdigital.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=85&Itemid=121
    You can listen to his demos, he had a video some place, but the layout works good.

In all honesty, I wouldn't bother playing all the drum parts. There's many sequencer's/drum machine software packages that do this automatically. Many free.
    Not free but cool is Jamstixs http://www.rayzoon.com/
    It will listen to what you're playing and come up with a drum beats/fills/...
    You can pick different drummer personalities

3. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I think I need to be more clear in my explanation....

I've been using my computer keyboard to play the drums and I hate it.

Instead of just getting a synth/keyboard style midi controller, I'm thinking about trying the Awowo Live Drums instead.

The layout is just like a drum set so laying down the midi drums will be way easier and will sound much more like a real drummer.
    LD-110.

It says that the Awowo drums have midi in/out but I don't have a midi card installed on my computer.

Could I use a USB-Midi converter cable and just plug the Awowo into a USB port to be able to trigger the midi drums in my digital audio workstation?

Does anyone have any idea?
    Or a guess?

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    A usb midi converter works fine, but I have no idea on the latency this toy has on converting stick strikes and dynamics to midi. Maybe go ask at vdrums.com

5. I've never heard of Awowo drums but I've been using a Yamaha DD55 Digital Drum Kit for a while now which looks pretty similar. I connect it to my pc with a usb/midi cable without any latency problems. Combined with a program like EZ Drummer you can get some pretty decent results. My guitar player was skeptical about it and thought it was a toy when I brought it over to his studio. 6 months later I can't get it back. Is it a real drum kit? Nope it's a controller and it beats the heck out things like the Trigger Finger or various Akai offerings for what I do. It's far from perfect but for a home studio it's worth looking into. I also a agree with Seamonkey on Jamstix. I LOVE that program!!!

Fletch

6. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Thank's for the info....

I read that the Awowo is just as good as the Yamaha, oh yeah, and it's less expensive. I guess Sam Ash stocks them so I can go and get a hands on experience before I make a decision.
    I'm going to check out the Yamaha too...I love Yamaha stuff...never been disappointed with anything of theirs.

I'm glad that I found someone that has the same ideas about putting down midi drum tracks. Those midi controllers are a pain in the butt...I at least want to capture a little personal feel when I'm putting midi tracks down.

7. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Just in case someone comes across this thread looking for the same info....

I've been doing some resarch and apparently the Yamaha YDD-60 and DD-65 electronic drum pads have some midi issues. One issue being that the hi-hat doesn't send the right midi signals when the hi-hat is opened or closed.
    If anyone has any additional info regarding this please post it here.
    Also, the Yamaha's do not come with bass drum pedals, hi-hat pedals, or a power supply.
    After purchasing all of that you might as well just buy a full electronic kit.
    That is really disappointing to me.

I am only left with one obvious choice, the Awowo Live Drums.
    In the next couple of days I am going to stop by Sam Ash and see if they have a demo for me to try before I decide to buy.

8. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    An update....

I bought the Awowo Drums and returned them within an hour.

I exchanged them and paid the difference to get the Yamaha DD-65 drum pads instead.
    They are way better the Awowo's.

I still need to get a MIDI to USB cable so I can finally start recording with the Yamaha.
    I can't wait!

My wife is going to order the cable for me through her work...I love employee discounts!